Author Topic: Republican Party of Texas Can Close Its Primaries  (Read 673 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Republican Party of Texas Can Close Its Primaries
« on: May 23, 2024, 12:55:55 pm »
Texas Scorecard by  Sydnie Henry   | May 22, 2024

A report from the Huffines Liberty Foundation explains the party can adopt term limits and closed primaries without legislative approval.

According to a new report from the Huffines Liberty Foundation, the Republican Party of Texas can implement term limits and close its primary without any legislative approval.

The report, written by Don Huffines, explains that freedom of association is protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, therefore, political parties have latitude when determining who will represent the party.

The courts “have consistently held that Americans’ First Amendment rights of association place significant limits on the state’s ability to regulate political parties,” explained Huffines. 

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/report-republican-party-of-texas-can-close-its-primaries/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Republican Party of Texas Can Close Its Primaries
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 01:24:53 pm »
Not soon enough!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien