Author Topic: Possible link between tattoos and lymphoma revealed in new study  (Read 931 times)

Online mountaineer

Possible link between tattoos and lymphoma revealed in new study
By Tracy Swartz
Published May 26, 2024, 6:48 p.m. ET

A new study out of Sweden finds that people with tattoos have a 21% higher risk of developing lymphoma, a type of blood cancer.

“It is important to remember that lymphoma is a rare disease and that our results apply at the group level,” Lund University researcher Christel Nielsen, who led the study, said in a statement last week. “The results now need to be verified and investigated further in other studies, and such research is ongoing."

... For the study, published in eClinicalMedicine, 11,905 participants were directed to answer a questionnaire about lifestyle factors to determine if they were tattooed. The risk associated with tattoo exposure appears to be highest for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (a fast-growing curable cancer that starts in white blood cells) and follicular lymphoma (a slow-growing incurable cancer).

“We already know that when the tattoo ink is injected into the skin, the body interprets this as something foreign that should not be there, and the immune system is activated,” Nielsen explained. “A large part of the ink is transported away from the skin, to the lymph nodes where it is deposited.”... https://nypost.com/2024/05/26/lifestyle/possible-link-between-tattoos-lymphoma-revealed-in-new-study/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 01:38:28 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: Possible link between tattoos and lymphoma revealed in new study
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 11:22:13 pm »
Well, yeah, anytime somebody injects foreign material into their body increases their cancer risk.  Duh!
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 12:11:18 am »
Good.  Perhaps we can eradicate tattoos the way all the NAZIs deleted tobacco smoking (but not marijuana).
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 12:39:22 am »
Tattoos often imply other lifestyle elements that might lead to exposure to chemicals that might be contributory to lymphoma, from military service, blue collar work environments, or other behaviour patterns. This is a 21% increase, meaning some people with tattoos have these additional exposures or some response to the tattoo itself (ink, depth of penetration, etc). Tattoos only go through the epidermis into the top of the dermal layer (1-2 mm in).

While not limited to specific personality types, folks who tend to get tattoos may have other exposures to lymphoma inducing substances that are not directly attributable to the tattoos, themselves. This seems to bee more correlation than causation to me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 01:09:19 am »
You can’t deny it is “unnatural” to stick stuff into your body for fun, into the skin. As surely as it is unnatural to inhale stuff into lungs.  None of this can be good.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 04:16:03 am »
You can’t deny it is “unnatural” to stick stuff into your body for fun, into the skin. As surely as it is unnatural to inhale stuff into lungs.  None of this can be good.
I can't say that. People have, for whatever reason, been sticking things into and through themselves for fun, status, or whatever, for a long time.

As for me, I don't sport any tattoos, despite living the biker lifestyle for a few years back when. Mainly because manufacturers of motorcycles can do their own advertising, and I never saw anything I wanted to wear that long. My retort to 'you can't be a biker if you don't have a tattoo' was that I'd never exceeded 120 MPH on a tattoo, nor taken one around a corner on two of its three wheels, but I'd done that on motorcycles, so maybe they'd feel more comfortable in the wannabe section.
As for the rest, I'm not one to tempt fate by consuming something to mess me up, well, not since my 'bad ol' days'...

The bottom line, though, is that if you are alive, something is going to kill you, from inside or outside, and living in constant fear of that isn't living.

God provides, God protects, as He sees fit.

When it's my time, He'll call me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 04:17:35 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 01:42:53 pm »
I can't say that. People have, for whatever reason, been sticking things into and through themselves for fun, status, or whatever, for a long time.

As for me, I don't sport any tattoos, despite living the biker lifestyle for a few years back when. Mainly because manufacturers of motorcycles can do their own advertising, and I never saw anything I wanted to wear that long. My retort to 'you can't be a biker if you don't have a tattoo' was that I'd never exceeded 120 MPH on a tattoo, nor taken one around a corner on two of its three wheels, but I'd done that on motorcycles, so maybe they'd feel more comfortable in the wannabe section.
As for the rest, I'm not one to tempt fate by consuming something to mess me up, well, not since my 'bad ol' days'...

The bottom line, though, is that if you are alive, something is going to kill you, from inside or outside, and living in constant fear of that isn't living.

God provides, God protects, as He sees fit.

When it's my time, He'll call me.

My job on Earth is to try to make that a Local Call....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 02:17:13 pm »
My only comment is that nowadays, when I see a tat on a beautiful woman, it's like putting grafitti on a Monet' or Renoir painting. 

Terrible.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 03:29:21 pm »
My only comment is that nowadays, when I see a tat on a beautiful woman, it's like putting grafitti on a Monet' or Renoir painting. 

Terrible.

And alot of them aren't much more than than prison tats. There's some gorgeous you women around in my area that are practically head-to-toe with low-rent tats, and it is the most off-putting thing on the planet. It really brings down the atmosphere, you feel like you're talking to a trashy billboard.

When I see women like that, it's a big red siren they have impulse control, defiance and immaturity issues, and I tend to pull back even from conversation because they just reek of instability, even if they are generally nice.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 04:02:43 pm »
And alot of them aren't much more than than prison tats. There's some gorgeous you women around in my area that are practically head-to-toe with low-rent tats, and it is the most off-putting thing on the planet. It really brings down the atmosphere, you feel like you're talking to a trashy billboard.

When I see women like that, it's a big red siren they have impulse control, defiance and immaturity issues, and I tend to pull back even from conversation because they just reek of instability, even if they are generally nice.

Especially when the low rent tats depict Satanic symbology. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2024, 12:32:11 am »
Tattoos often imply other lifestyle elements that might lead to exposure to chemicals that might be contributory to lymphoma, from military service, blue collar work environments, or other behaviour patterns. This is a 21% increase, meaning some people with tattoos have these additional exposures or some response to the tattoo itself (ink, depth of penetration, etc). Tattoos only go through the epidermis into the top of the dermal layer (1-2 mm in).

While not limited to specific personality types, folks who tend to get tattoos may have other exposures to lymphoma inducing substances that are not directly attributable to the tattoos, themselves. This seems to bee more correlation than causation to me.

Yup, which is why the original article states "The results now need to be verified and investigated further in other studies" - that's the only way to differentiate correlation from causation.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2024, 12:35:17 am »
Never tatted.. Never jabbed.  Not sure how long I will live.  But I will sleep sound.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2024, 01:16:25 am »
   I'm really worried about the Future of OUR Country, now.

*Disclaimer I have tattoos
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.