Author Topic: Congress Plans to "Fix" 2-Year Aircraft Carrier Funding Delay - Ensure China Deterrence  (Read 220 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congress Plans to "Fix" 2-Year Aircraft Carrier Funding Delay - Ensure China Deterrence

Any air campaign to counter a Chinese attack upon Taiwan would have little chance of success without US Navy aircraft carriers
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONUPDATED:APR 3, 2024ORIGINAL:APR 3, 2024
By Kris Osborn, Warrior President, Center for Military Modernization

“Five acres of sovereign US territory,” were words used by Rep. Rob Wittman, R-Va. to describe the irreplaceable value of US Navy aircraft carriers, symbols of US power and force-projection capacity.

Virginia Democrat Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., echoed this sentiment andclosely aligned with Wittman’s sensibility by referring to the seriousness of the threat environment and a commensurate need to ensure stable funding for aircraft carrier construction. Kaine said the current funding impasse, which as pushed back funding for the next Ford-class carrier by at least two years, is in part due to spending caps put in place. During an event on Capital Hill, Kaine pledged to assure the Aircraft Carrier Industrial Base Coalition that he and other members will endeavor to secure consistent carrier funding.

"Challenges are growing by the day in every theater, and we need to send the right demand signal. I don't like that we are sliding backward. We are not going to meet our own needs or the needs of our allies unless we find a fix to this," Kaine told an audience on the Hill. 

Wittman described the need for carriers in the context of what he argued was an extremely dangerous modern threat environment. As part of this, Wittman cited a number of key variables, such as the pace at which China continues to build and add carriers. The Congressman, who is the ranking member on the House Armed Services Committee, cited Iran, China, Russia and other countries as extremely credible threats to take seriously.

https://warriormaven.com/sea/congress-plans-to-fix-2-year-us-navy-carrier-delay-to-preserve-deterrence
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
By the end of the next war, carriers as we know them will be outmoded.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
By the end of the next war, carriers as we know them will be outmoded.

They already are.  If fact, they were outmoded 50 yrs. ago when I served on one.  It's just people don't want to admit it and the investment is too big.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson