Author Topic: Economic damage from climate change six times worse than thought – report  (Read 514 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Economic damage from climate change six times worse than thought – report
A 1C increase in global temperature leads to a 12% decline in world gross domestic product, researchers have found

Oliver Milman
Fri 17 May 2024 10.00 EDT

The economic damage wrought by climate change is six times worse than previously thought, with global heating set to shrink wealth at a rate consistent with the level of financial losses of a continuing permanent war, research has found.

A 1C increase in global temperature leads to a 12% decline in world gross domestic product (GDP), the researchers found, a far higher estimate than that of previous analyses. The world has already warmed by more than 1C (1.8F) since pre-industrial times and many climate scientists predict a 3C (5.4F) rise will occur by the end of this century due to the ongoing burning of fossil fuels, a scenario that the new working paper, yet to be peer-reviewed, states will come with an enormous economic cost.

A 3C temperature increase will cause “precipitous declines in output, capital and consumption that exceed 50% by 2100” the paper states. This economic loss is so severe that it is “comparable to the economic damage caused by fighting a war domestically and permanently”, it adds.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/17/economic-damage-climate-change-report
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CHICKEN LITTLE LIVES!! savme 888cryingkitty
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
It's not "climate change," per se, that's doing the damage but the various governments' absurd destruction of its own energy industries and economies to combat an imaginary "crisis."
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online mountaineer

It's not "climate change," per se, that's doing the damage but the various governments' absurd destruction of its own energy industries and economies to combat an imaginary "crisis."
Exactly.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
More from this enviro-whacko joker....

https://olivermilman.com/other-writing/

I'm sure this was a Pulitizer winner......     :silly:

"it's like hunting aliens":  Inside the town beseiged by Armadillos
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Offline LMAO

Next year, it’ll  be 10 times worse than thought

And when everybody yawns after that, it’ll be 20 times worse than thought and so forth and so forth
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

Six times worse?  So Florida is now under six times deeper water than Algore originally predicted?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Next year, it’ll  be 10 times worse than thought
Me too. Why six times worse? Why not 60 or 600 times worse?
I am always curious about how crackpot weirdos make up their hyperbolic numbers.

Trump will be 500 times worse than Biden!
Well ... Trump was President once, and we were 500 times better off.
Also, 500 times worse than Biden would mean we all turn into Zimbabwe overnight.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Me too. Why six times worse? Why not 60 or 600 times worse?
I am always curious about how crackpot weirdos make up their hyperbolic numbers.

Trump will be 500 times worse than Biden!
Well ... Trump was President once, and we were 500 times better off.
Also, 500 times worse than Biden would mean we all turn into Zimbabwe overnight.

From the Dr. Evil Laser School of Estimology. 

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.