Author Topic: Time To Deploy Low-Yield Nuclear Weapons at Sea  (Read 287 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Time To Deploy Low-Yield Nuclear Weapons at Sea
« on: May 18, 2024, 03:54:32 pm »
Time To Deploy Low-Yield Nuclear Weapons at Sea
By Joe Varner
May 18, 2024
U.S. Navy

The U.S. needs to break out of its post-Cold War posture and move to a warfighting doctrine with forward deployed theatre level or tactical nuclear weapons on warships to deter China and others.

The last decade has seen China threaten its Indo-Pacific neighbors with violence and claims on their territory including U.S. allies South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines. Many expect China to try and seize Taiwan by force of arms by 2027. Taiwan’s offshore front-line positions near the Chinese coast and the Pratas are under constant threat of attack and seizure. Beijing routinely pushes Japan on the Senkaku Islands and now has started with so-called ancient claims on Okinawa. The last few years have seen China force its way into the Philippines exclusive economic zone to try and seize territories it claims like Thitu inhabited by Philippine citizens.

Recent articles and reporting have focused on the threat posed to the U.S. and its allies by China and its growing military power. We have witnessed the more than doubling of China’s nuclear warheads, its large and diverse missile force, growth of the Chinese navy to 355 warships, and Beijing’s program to catch up to the U.S. on quality and quantity of fighter aircraft. The U.S. is concerned on several levels by the challenge posed by Chinese military forces in the Indo-Pacific, particularly their dual-capable cruise, ballistic and hypersonic missile forces, and Beijing’s more self-interested and aggressive intentions. China’s missile forces are deployed to threaten a devastating attack on U.S. and allied forces and bases in the region at the outset of any conflict, while Beijing’s strategic deterrent threatens U.S. cities in North America. The U.S. is increasingly faced with the decision to either fortify its forward deployed forces and bases to meet the Chinese challenge of missile attacks or move back to less vulnerable positions and leave American allies exposed to Beijing’s threats and bullying.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/05/18/time_to_deploy_low-yield_nuclear_weapons_at_sea_1032431.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Re: Time To Deploy Low-Yield Nuclear Weapons at Sea
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 03:58:07 pm »
Whoaaa....

Over my pay grade, weighing in  to this one.  Would sea deployment of nukes be seen as an agressive escalation?  Maybe the trigger to invade Taiwan?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 09:44:01 pm »
Sumpin' tells me the Chinese already have this figured out.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 10:58:00 pm »
Whoaaa....

Over my pay grade, weighing in  to this one.  Would sea deployment of nukes be seen as an agressive escalation?  Maybe the trigger to invade Taiwan?
I would be surprised if we don't have nukes at sea already (we're supposed to, right?).

The question is one of whether to deploy low yield (tactical) nukes or not, or whether to outfit more tactical platforms with strategic level nukes.  W-80s should fit on most missiles or torpedoes, and can be dialed up from 5 to 150 kilotons.

Would the Chinese hesitate to go for a one-shot fleet engagement, even if it invited a strategic (ICBM) response?

Note: edited to correct yield range of the W-80
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 11:28:45 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis