Author Topic: U.S. announces effort to expedite court cases of migrants who cross the border illegally  (Read 133 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. announces effort to expedite court cases of migrants who cross the border illegally
By Camilo Montoya-Galvez

May 16, 2024 / 9:32 PM EDT / CBS News

The Biden administration on Thursday announced an effort to shorten the time it takes for U.S. immigration judges to decide the asylum cases of certain migrants who enter the country illegally along the border with Mexico.

Migrant adults released by federal border officials after crossing into the U.S. unlawfully will be eligible to be placed in the program, under a joint initiative between the Department of Homeland Security and the Justice Department, which oversees the nation's immigration courts.

The effort's objective, senior U.S. officials said, is to speed up the process of granting asylum to migrants with legitimate cases, and rejecting weak cases. Federal officials under Republican and Democratic administrations have said the current years-long timeframe to decide asylum cases serves as a "pull factor" that attracts migration by economic migrants, who don't qualify for humanitarian protection, but who often use the asylum system to work in the U.S.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-new-effort-expedite-court-cases-migrants-who-cross-border-illegally/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How does this  pointing-up go with this pointing-down

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/the-biden-administration-is-planning-more-changes-to-hasten-asylum-processing
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson