General Category > Climate Change

More than 1 million trees cut down for wind turbines last year, 17 million over 24 years

(1/13) > >>

rangerrebew:
filed:  May 10, 2024 • Scotland
More than 1 million trees cut down for wind turbines last year, 17 million over 24 years
Credit:  "Anger as 17 million trees chopped down in SNP's Scotland to clear way for wind farms" | By David Walker, Politics reporter | 9 MAY 2024 | scottishdailyexpress.co.uk ~~

A Scottish Government quango has commissioned the destruction of more than 17 million trees in the last 24 years in order to build wind farms on public land.

The Scottish Government has been blasted after it was revealed that more than one million trees have been chopped down on publicly owned land in just a year to make way for wind farms. This mass cutting down of trees came despite the SNP and Scottish Greens claiming environmental credentials.

Communities in rural Scotland have complained about massive turbines blighting their landscapes, with even more planned in areas such as Aberdeenshire and Moray. And now it has been revealed that a SNP quango is getting rid of healthy trees in order to make space for them.

According to new statistics, more than one million trees were chopped down on public land, which is the equivalent to 2,700 per day. Critics described this as “appalling” and warned that the rising number of wind farm developments are causing “irreparable damage” to the countryside.

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2024/05/10/more-than-1-million-trees-cut-down-for-wind-turbines-last-year-17-million-over-24-years/

banddag:
What this pro fossil fuel group does not tell you is Scotland planted 500 million trees since 2000.

Responding to press criticism, FLS said it had planted more than 500 million trees since 2000, adding: “Renewable energy generated from wind farms is a key element in Scotland's response to the climate emergency and the shift towards net zero and the infrastructure on land that we manage generates enough power for ...Aug 7, 2023

Scottish Government Felling Almost 2,000 Trees per Day To ...

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: banddag on May 18, 2024, 01:02:01 pm ---What this pro fossil fuel group does not tell you is Scotland planted 500 million trees since 2000.

Responding to press criticism, FLS said it had planted more than 500 million trees since 2000, adding: “Renewable energy generated from wind farms is a key element in Scotland's response to the climate emergency and the shift towards net zero and the infrastructure on land that we manage generates enough power for ...Aug 7, 2023

Scottish Government Felling Almost 2,000 Trees per Day To ...

--- End quote ---

Do you know anything about the science of tree farming, or survivability of saplings? Lot's of acreage around pine farms here, and at best 3 in 10 reach maturity for board quality timber.

And now to your support wind turbines.....   You are supporting a technology that creates the slaughter of massive quantites of birds.  Plus, destruction or increased difficulty for future use for effective farming or other land use.  Oh, and should we talk about disposal issues of the stantions and blades?    Think I am wrong.  One of my son's old girlfriend got a Biology job at at a Electric Turbine Company, that JUST singularly was there to enumerate dead birds. 

Are you right on any issue?

banddag:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on May 18, 2024, 01:48:57 pm ---1.Do you know anything about the science of tree farming, or survivability of saplings? Lot's of acreage around pine farms here, and at best 3 in 10 reach maturity for board quality timber.

2.And now to your support wind turbines.....   You are supporting a technology that creates the slaughter of massive quantites of birds.  Plus, destruction or increased difficulty for future use for effective farming or other land use.  Oh, and should we talk about disposal issues of the stantions and blades?    Think I am wrong.  One of my son's old girlfriend got a Biology job at at a Electric Turbine Company, that JUST singularly was there to enumerate dead birds. 

Are you right on any issue?

--- End quote ---

1. Yes, I do know. I planted trees for Scouts for 3-4 years. We were told only one out of every 5 we planted would survive. 30% of 500 Million trees planted  is 150 million trees surviving. My math shows 150 million is greater than 17 million lost to wind turbines. My neighbor has one of the largest Christmas tree farms in the state. He has a 95% survivability of course this is different than a tree grown in nature with no human care.

2. It is estimated 250-300 thousand birds are killed each year by wind turbines. Cats kill 2.4 billion each year. Another 2.5-3 billion die to cars, buildings, high tension lines etc. 300k is a far cry from 6 billion.

2.4 billion birds are killed by cats each year. 
Cats #1 Threat to Birds
In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats. Each outdoor cat plays a part.

3. Turbine companies are working diligently to solve the bird issue with wind turbines.
4. Wind Turbines on Rt 23 in LOhio are right kin the middle of corn fields. Minimal land used. Harvestors go right around them.
5. Turbines companies are coming out with recyclable blades and other co's are finding ways to recycle the old carbon fiber blades.

This US company recycles old wind turbine blades.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/wind/articles/carbon-rivers-makes-wind-turbine-blade-recycling-and-upcycling-reality-support

Another

Wind turbine maker Vestas announced that it has figured out how to recycle all wind turbine blades – even those already in landfills.
CNN · May 29, 2023

You do nothing but trash new technology because your wealth and pension plan was made from the fossil fuel industry.  You are the worse kind of person. You know the crap you are spewing is a flat out lie. 

massadvj:
It seems to me that whenever there is some change that has political ramifications, the group that is most likely to benefit from the change overestimates the damage that will be caused if we do not act; overestimates the advantages that will accrue from acting; and underestimates the damages that will come from acting. And we keep falling for it.

There is a good reason why our founding fathers generally distrusted mob rule, and we are seeing it manifested in virtually every aspect of our lives today. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version