Author Topic: Pope Francis says solution to U.S.-Mexico border crisis is to "open the doors to migration"  (Read 112 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Pope Francis says solution to U.S.-Mexico border crisis is to "open the doors to migration"

Pope Francis told CBS in an interview airing Monday night that the solution to record numbers of undocumented immigrants arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border was "to open the doors to migration."

Why it matters: President Biden has in response this year taken a tougher stance on the border, which Axios' Stef Kight notes has become one of Democrats' most vulnerable issues in the 2024 election cycle.

The president told Univision last month his administration was exploring whether he has the authority to shut down the border without authorization from Congress and that he had plans to limit south crossings.
What they're saying: CBS' Norah O'Donnell noted during her interview with the pope that as large numbers of mothers and children fleeing violence walked "thousands of miles" to the border with their families for a better life, discussion in the U.S. was about closing the border and limiting migration.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pope-francis-says-solution-to-u-s-mexico-border-crisis-is-to-open-the-doors-to-migration/ar-BB1mKt7e?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=6c38353817014e948b1751cd981f6c6f&ei=42
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How about he takes in a few hundred thousand at the Vatican! :amen:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson