Author Topic: Demonized as contributing to climate change, cattle may actually decrease emissions, research shows  (Read 120 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Demonized as contributing to climate change, cattle may actually decrease emissions, research shows

The researchers found that 19%-30% of methane emissions were from the cattle, but the rest was from the wetland soils. If the cows are removed, their research shows, it actually increases the amount of methane the wetland ecosystems give off.

By Kevin Killough
Published: May 13, 2024 11:00pm

Updated: May 14, 2024 8:49am

Few things have escaped environmentalists' scorn, and even cows have not been exempt from blame for climate change. Emissions from livestock production have become an increasing focus of efforts to fight climate change. The United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that 11.1% of emissions worldwide come from livestock production, and the organization released a report last year urging Americans to eat less meat. If people aren’t eating meat, the argument goes, then fewer cows are produced. If there’s fewer cows, there’s less emissions.

However, research by pro-agribuisness outfits Alltech and Archbold suggests that the thinking on reducing emissions at the source is missing a bigger picture on cattles’ relationship with the land, and possibly, by removing grazing from pastures, emissions will actually go up.

Complex process

Besides trying to convince people to change their diets so we can get rid of more cows, other efforts seek to attack the emissions at the source. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded a $4.8 million grant to a London-based company to develop a gas mask as a sort of carbon capture technology — on a cow. Other research is looking into food additives that go into the cows’ feed as a way to reduce the amount of emissions coming out of the animal.

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/environment/demonized-contributing-climate-change-cattle-may-decrease-emissions
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 11:01:49 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson