Author Topic: Washington Post: Have Cold Showers to Prevent Climate Change  (Read 344 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Washington Post: Have Cold Showers to Prevent Climate Change
13 hours ago Eric Worrall 40 Comments

Essay by Eric Worrall

Clearly we haven’t plumbed the bottom of the well of climate absurdity.

Why you should embrace using cold water, almost all the time

Heating water gobbles energy, leading to higher utility bills and more planet-warming emissions.

By Allyson Chiu
May 12, 2024 at 6:30 a.m. EDT

You may not be giving a second thought to setting your washing machine on the hot cycle, cranking your showers to a steamy temperature or scrubbing your dirty dishes under a stream of scalding water.

If you did, you’d find that you probably don’t need to use so much hot water — and that you could be saving energy and cutting your utility bills. Water heating is responsible for more than 10 percent of both annual residential energy use and consumer utility costs, the biggest share after air conditioning and heating, according to the Energy Department. An American household uses an average of 64 gallons of hot water a day — close to the amount needed to fill an average bathtub— by doing laundry, showering, washing the dishes and running kitchen and bathroom faucets.

While there are home improvements that can help you cut back on the energy it takes to heat water, including installing a heat pump water heater, one easy solution is to switch to cold water.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/05/14/washington-post-have-cold-showers-to-prevent-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Washington Post: Have Cold Showers to Prevent Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 10:32:50 am »
Taking cold showers in the winter in the northern states is even more important.  I'm sure heating water from those cold waterlines must be even more deadly for everyone.  But the good news is liberals can start their cold-water showers today!  They do take showers, don't they? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 11:45:58 am »
Yes, let's all wash our dishes and cooking pots in cold water. Good luck with all that.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 04:11:29 pm »
Yes, let's all wash our dishes and cooking pots in cold water. Good luck with all that.  *****rollingeyes*****
You just know that the so called journalist and editor that put this little bit of mental masturbation would never consider doing this themselves, this is directed at all the proletariat that are beneath their enlightened selves, you know all of America they consider stupid.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 07:31:57 pm »
You just know that the so called journalist and editor that put this little bit of mental masturbation would never consider doing this themselves, this is directed at all the proletariat that are beneath their enlightened selves, you know all of America they consider stupid.

GMTA. Not one of these A$$holes will comply with their own bullcrap. Not one.

Besides, it's bullcrap. On demand hot water heaters use very little energy, and the same goes for gas or propane heaters. Very economical. It's electric hot water that costs so much.

I use gas hot water because I have hard water, and I refuse to filter it. But it doesn't even register on my gas bill in the summer time.

Maybe I should shower more...  :pondering: