Author Topic: Tester confronts Austin over ‘unacceptable’ border crisis in sharp exchange  (Read 86 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Tester confronts Austin over ‘unacceptable’ border crisis in sharp exchange
BY ALEXANDER BOLTON - 05/09/24 3:44 PM ET

Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.), the chair of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, confronted Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin over the migrant crisis at the southern border during a sharp exchange on Capitol Hill.

Tester, who is one of the Senate’s most vulnerable incumbents, let Austin know in blunt terms that he’s fed up with the Biden administration’s failure to secure the border, though he also acknowledged Congress’s failure to pass border security reforms is also a problem.

“Look, I’ve repeatedly called upon [Homeland Security] Secretary [Alejandro] Mayorkas and President Biden and Congress to step up and fix what’s going on at the southern border. It’s not sustainable at all, and it’s unacceptable,” he told Austin sternly during a hearing Wednesday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4654516-tester-austin-border-crisis-exchange/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson