Author Topic: DOJ requests 40-year sentence for man who assaulted Paul Pelosi  (Read 728 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
DOJ requests 40-year sentence for man who assaulted Paul Pelosi
By
Brady Knox
May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

The Department of Justice is requesting a 40-year sentence against the man who broke into the Pelosis‘ home and assaulted Paul Pelosi with a hammer.

David DePape was previously convicted by a jury of not only assaulting Paul Pelosi but also attempting to kidnap then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA). Prosecutors argued that a sentence of 40 years in prison was needed to assure elected officials that they wouldn’t live in fear.

“Here, it is not the public that needs protecting, but the public officials. Our public officials should not live in fear of their lives, but attacks like the defendant’s breed fear and dissuade people from running for office or otherwise taking roles in the public sphere,” prosecutors wrote. “At this moment in time, this defendant continues to present as a strong risk—to the Speaker Emerita and others—because of his failure to accept responsibility.”

Prosecutors also justified the sentence given DePape never expressed remorse for his crimes.

“The defendant seemed proud of what he had accomplished,” prosecutors wrote. “Hours later, when interviewed by Sergeant Hurley, the defendant also expressed no remorse about nearly killing Mr. Pelosi, and instead explained the other targets that he had not been able to reach.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/justice/3000549/doj-requests-40-year-sentence-man-assaulted-paul-pelosi/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: DOJ requests 40-year sentence for man who assaulted Paul Pelosi
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 10:20:52 pm »
 *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 10:41:30 pm »
I wonder if they'll allow Paulie conjugal visits. :whistle:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 10:51:58 pm »
Why is DOJ involved?  These are State crimes, not Federal.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 11:03:47 pm »
Here, it is not the public that needs protecting, but the public officials.
I realize the guy allegedly said he was looking for Nancy, but she wasn't even there. Paul Pelosi is not a public official. However, because he's married to the former Shrew Speaker of the House, it was a federal matter.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 11:19:30 pm »
Poor guy.  In SanFran a guy who hammered a normal, un connected guy, would be out in 6 months.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 01:24:44 am »
He attacked an old man with a hammer in front of the cops.  I don't care who the victim was, he deserves heavy prison time.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 01:39:01 am »
Had he inflicted the same injuries on some nobody of a fellow mentally unbalanced  street person,  he probably would not have been prosecuted in SF.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 01:50:06 am »
Under California law, the maximum penalty for felony aggravated battery is four years.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/penal-code/243d/

I can't find a statute for 'attempted kidnapping' (which is pretty damn hard to prosecute considering the target victim was over 2,500 miles away.  But the penalty for kidnapping is eight years.

So we're looking at 12 years max.  Not 40.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 01:50:13 am »
Had he inflicted the same injuries on some nobody of a fellow mentally unbalanced  street person,  he probably would not have been prosecuted in SF.

True, sadly.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 01:51:29 am »

Democrats - Opposing Equal Protection since 1836.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2024, 01:51:41 am »
Under California law, the maximum penalty for felony aggravated battery is four years.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/penal-code/243d/

I can't find a statute for 'attempted kidnapping' (which is pretty damn hard to prosecute considering the target victim was over 2,500 miles away.  But the penalty for kidnapping is eight years.

So we're looking at 12 years max.  Not 40.

This is attempted murder, becaus of Pelosi's advanced age.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2024, 01:59:15 am »
This is attempted murder, becaus of Pelosi's advanced age.

He wasn't charged with attempted murder.  But after closer review, all the charges were federal, not State.  I think this may be the relevant statute:

18 U.S. Code § 115 - Influencing, impeding, or retaliating against a Federal official by threatening or injuring a family member

Offline LMAO

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2024, 03:31:52 am »
I wonder if they'll allow Paulie conjugal visits. :whistle:

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy