Author Topic: ‘Welcome Home’–For Years His Family Waited for His Return. Now, He Waits for His Daughter.  (Read 349 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Welcome Home’–For Years His Family Waited for His Return. Now, He Waits for His Daughter.
APRIL 24, 2024| IVAN F. INGRAHAM

My wife and I sit in a large auditorium in El Paso, Texas, waiting in anticipation, along with other families, for our daughter’s return from deployment. Upbeat music fills the air and the feeling in the assembled crowd is of a group of fans awaiting a rock band to take the stage. This isn’t far off. The main characters are our own family members—the balloons, signs, and flowers overt displays of affection marking the safe return of mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, daughters and sons.

I watch young children playing and dancing to the music. Each is more interested in the other kids than in sitting patiently next to their nervous parents. Children have an innate ability to find fun in anything, even if it’s just running around together, or making up some game whose rules don’t matter. I glance at young mothers holding very small babies, likely for the first introduction to their fathers since deploying nine months earlier.

Through a side door, a crowd of soldiers is seen forming up, faceless in an amoebic mob dressed in MultiCam utilities, yet comprised of individuals, each with their own experiences and desires. The air comes alive with anxious expectation, but, like most things in the military, this prolongs the waiting for their arrival. Hurry up and wait goes both ways.

https://thewarhorse.org/veteran-welcomes-home-deployed-daughter-who-waited-for-him/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I never had anyone waiting on the pier for me after we came home from the South China Sea.  Twice.  It wasn't all bad because I would stand duty for anyone who had duty but also family to welcome him home.  It was nice to see the family of the guy who I replaced get together again.  He also didn't have to repay me by taking one of my watches.  It was a small price to pay for helping someone whose family could be there.  I suspect there were more guys who didn't have family waiting than those who did.  And a lot of those who didn't, did as I, take a watch for some other guys so they could be with their families.  A lot of guys who technically were supposed to stay on the ship, got to be with his family one day early because someone stepped in to help them out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 05:33:43 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson