State Chapters > Virginia

Virginia education board restores Confederate names to schools

(1/2) > >>

Hoodat:
Virginia education board restores Confederate names to schools

Breccan F. Thies  |  May 10, 2024  |  2:16 pm

A school district in Virginia voted Friday morning to restore the names of Confederate generals to schools, becoming the first board in the country to reinstate such names after voting to remove them.

The Shenandoah County school board, representing a rural and overwhelmingly conservative area, voted 5-1 to restore the Confederate namesakes of two schools after having stripped the names in 2020 in the wake of the death of George Floyd.

The move would honor three Confederate military leaders: Army of Northern Virginia General Robert E. Lee, infantry General Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson, and cavalry commander Turner Ashby. Mountain View High School will now be named Stonewall Jackson High School, and Honey Run Elementary School will now be called Ashby-Lee Elementary School.

Funds to make the changes will come from private sources as opposed to tax dollars.

Shenandoah County has become the first in the country to reverse the nationwide trend of removing Confederate names of schools.  .  .  .

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/education/2999685/virginia-education-board-restores-confederate-names-to-schools/

mountaineer:
 :beer:

the OlLine Rebel:
Saw this on YouTube this morning.  Made comment.  Lots of comments of course about how horrid it is to have anything named after traitors.

Without a hint of irony that invariably these are traitors the,selves, here and now.

Wingnut:
This makes me happy. 

Lets put the statues back too.

jafo2010:
I doubt the statues are coming back. 

All the furor subsequent to the George Floyd was a total disgrace in my view.  That maggot killed himself with an overdose.  The optics of the cop's knee on his neck was unfortunate, but the blame directed at those cops for his death was pure nonsense.  Statues going up for Floyd from my view is further proof of the resolute decline of our society, our country.  That maggot should have been forgotten.  Awarding his family $17+ million is a further disgrace. 

Nothing happening in this country makes sense.  NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version