Author Topic: Submarine delays push SEALs to find new underwater approaches  (Read 88 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Submarine delays push SEALs to find new underwater approaches
By Todd South
 May 8, 01:49 PM

The so-called dry combat submersible, a miniature submarine for ferrying SEALs around, has reached initial operating capability last month. (Lockheed Martin)
TAMPA, Fla. — U.S. Navy special operators are upgrading their underwater fleet to continue reaching their objectives amid a looming gap in submarine capabilities, according military officials.

Navy SEALs have used the dry deck shelter with modified Ohio-class submarines for decades. The shelter, attached to a submarine, allows divers to remain dry as they transport to their launch site, don wetsuits and dive gear, then exit and later return to the sub undetected.

But the shelters require 10 sailors to operate and get six SEALs out of the platform, Navy Capt. Burt Canfield said Tuesday at the Special Operations Forces conference. Canfield overseas dry deck shelter acquisitions for Special Operations Command. There are five shelters in service, the oldest of which has been in use for nearly 50 years.

https://www.navytimes.com/naval/2024/05/08/submarine-delays-push-seals-to-find-new-underwater-approaches/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson