Author Topic: This North Carolina Sheriff Should Know Better  (Read 94 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
This North Carolina Sheriff Should Know Better
« on: May 09, 2024, 01:17:47 pm »
This North Carolina Sheriff Should Know Better
May 07, 2024

Generally speaking, police chiefs — particularly those in major urban areas — support illegal alien sanctuary policies that prohibit them from cooperating with federal immigration officials. They’re often pressured to do so by the politicians and special interests who appoint and influence them. Conversely, elected sheriffs are directly accountable only to voters. Not surprisingly then, sheriffs generally oppose sanctuary protections and support policies allowing them to work collaboratively with their federal partners in the enforcement of our nation’s laws.

Exceptions exist of course, and Wake County Sheriff, Willie Rowe, is one. This North Carolina sheriff who oversees jail operations in the state’s largest county, opposes House Bill 10, long-overdue legislation that would enhance cooperation and information-sharing between the state’s jails and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Most importantly, the bill would require that local jails honor ICE detainers so that illegal aliens are not released into local communities after they serve their sentences for local offenses. The bill is North Carolina’s third, and most promising, legislative attempt in recent years to enhance public safety and help reverse the state’s spiraling illegal alien population, now estimated at 488,000, costing state taxpayers $3.14B annually.

Sheriff Rowe’s opposition is disappointing. Equally disappointing are his “fear of law enforcement” arguments — inane talking points recycled from sanctuary-promoting mass immigration advocates, long ago debunked.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2024/05/07/north-carolina-sheriff-should-know-better
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson