Author Topic: Stats Show Fentanyl Replacing Heroin as Cartel Cash Cow  (Read 120 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Stats Show Fentanyl Replacing Heroin as Cartel Cash Cow
« on: May 09, 2024, 01:14:23 pm »
Stats Show Fentanyl Replacing Heroin as Cartel Cash Cow
May 06, 2024

Michael McManus

Fentanyl is rapidly replacing heroin as the drug cartels are using to make money. Statistics on drug seizures from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) show that there has been a clear shift in the cartels’ smuggling habits, and the data strongly indicate that the border chaos of recent years is facilitating this lethal trade. Comparing statistics across the last three full fiscal years (FY) is as it informative as it is alarming.

Heroin seizures were high throughout FY 2021, closing the year on 5,400 lbs. seized. But by FY 2023 seizures had fallen to just 1,500 lbs. That is a 72 percent drop in just two fiscal years. By contrast, fentanyl seizures in FY 2021 were 11,200 lbs. and over 27,000 lbs. in FY 2023. This is an enormous 141 percent increase. The statistics show that the cartels are clearly changing their business model. Cartels see more money and growth opportunity in fentanyl, and are moving away from heroin and towards fentanyl.

Fentanyl is attractive to the cartels because of its massive money making potential. In terms of the profit margin, for just $50,000 in production costs, $20 million worth of fentanyl can be sold. This is a return of $400 for every $1 spent. For cartels, like any business, the profit margin of that magnitude is too high to ignore. Another feature that attracts the cartels is the sheer addictiveness. Fentanyl snares people into addiction more quickly and totally than even heroin, given that fentanyl is 100 times more potent than heroin. The more powerful the drug, the more powerful the addiction and with that, the more business for smugglers and dealers.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2024/05/06/stats-show-fentanyl-replacing-heroin-cartel-cash-cow
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Stats Show Fentanyl Replacing Heroin as Cartel Cash Cow
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 01:21:38 pm »
Smaller doses mean that more can be stuffed into a smaller package, and 'cut' later to street concentrations (which, inevitably, will be done improperly at some point resulting in a rash of ODs). This aids in concealment of uncut drugs, even though the pure form is more dangerous to handle. But then, if the people selling this cared about people dying from it, they wouldn't be selling it in the first place.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis