Author Topic: The Cost of EPA’s Senseless CO2 Capture  (Read 369 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Cost of EPA’s Senseless CO2 Capture
« on: May 09, 2024, 11:09:38 am »
The Cost of EPA’s Senseless CO2 Capture
2 hours ago Guest Blogger 6 Comments

by Frits Byron Soepyan

In April 24, 2024, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) passed a new rule that would require coal power plants that plan to continue operating after January 1, 2039, and new natural gas power plants that plan to begin operation on or after 2035 to capture at least 90% of their CO2 emissions.

How much would this cost? And is it worth it?

Well, as they say, we ran the numbers. Thankfully, researchers from the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) have provided the cost and performance estimates for retrofitting an existing coal power plant with Shell’s CANSOLV CO2 capture system.

For the performance and cost estimates, I will use the NETL estimates for 90% carbon capture. (Here, I am using the term “carbon capture,” rather than “CO2 capture,” because NETL uses the mass of carbon, rather than the mass of CO2, in its calculations.)

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/05/09/the-cost-of-epas-senseless-co2-capture/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The Cost of EPA’s Senseless CO2 Capture
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 01:06:12 pm »
Okay, you've captured all this 'evil' CO2.

Like the dog who caught the car, what are you going to do with it?

It is a colorless, odorless, heavier than air gas that, in large quantities snuffs out animal life, prevents engines from starting (as if it matters, because there would be no one to drive the vehicle anyway).
A large leak would quietly kill everyone in the plume, from insects to humans and all that wildlife, even Bambi. I reckon the windmills just aren't killing enough critters fast enough.

Some say they want to inject it into the earth, even though injecting frac fluids is 'bad' because they allege it ruins groundwater and causes earthquakes. The same people who don't want oil pipelines, want to transport massive quantities of CO2 by pipeline...

And the people who babble about the 'greening' of the Planet, would be removing plant food from the atmosphere.

None of this makes any sense if the objective is to benefit humans.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 01:49:10 pm »
None of this makes any sense if the objective is to benefit humans.
@Smokin Joe

What if the true objective were the opposite. Now, does it make sense?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 12:58:51 am »
@Smokin Joe

What if the true objective were the opposite. Now, does it make sense?
Of course.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis