Author Topic: Solar-Powered Farming Threatens World's Groundwater Reserves  (Read 92 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Solar-Powered Farming Threatens World's Groundwater Reserves
Story by Ethan Brown • 4h •

Under the scorching sun, farmers in arid regions have turned a new page in agriculture by harnessing solar energy to power water pumps, a transformative move aimed at boosting crop production. However, this seemingly benign revolution is ringing alarm bells among hydrologists and environmental scientists. The crux of the issue is the rapid depletion of groundwater reserves, a problem exacerbated by the proliferation of solar-powered irrigation systems that enable water extraction from aquifers without the restraint of fuel costs or electricity bills.

Solar-powered irrigation has made headlines in Rajasthan, India, where the government’s subsidies have equipped nearly 100,000 farmers with solar pumps over the past decade. The impact is undeniable—over a million acres are now under cultivation with an increase in agricultural water use by over 25%. Yet, this boon has a hidden cost: plummeting water tables with the underground rocks drying up to 400 feet deep in some areas. The sustainable limit has been breached, leading to abandoned pumps and a scramble for more powerful equipment to reach the dwindling reserves.

The narrative is not unique to India; similar stories are unfolding across Africa and other parts of the world, where solar pumps are providing a lifeline to small-scale farms. Solar pumps are becoming more common in rural areas with limited access to water in regions like India and Africa. These pumps can draw water from underground sources continuously and without any cost or government oversight.While this revolution promises a leap in agricultural productivity and food security, it simultaneously threatens the sustainability of vital aquifers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/solar-powered-farming-threatens-world-s-groundwater-reserves/ar-BB1m4Lin?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=6571edf8607f4ef08cd127bf6bc7bb9e&ei=12
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson