Author Topic: Red state governor signs bill cracking down on squatters: 'Best dwelling' for them 'is a jail cell'  (Read 140 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Red state governor signs bill cracking down on squatters: 'Best dwelling' for them 'is a jail cell'
'The best dwelling for an illegal squatter is a jail cell,' says Alabama Gov Kay Ivey
Kyle Morris By Kyle Morris Fox News
Published May 7, 2024 12:04pm EDT

I built a 'Squatter Hunter' ‘army’ across the country: Flash Shelton
'Squatter Hunter' Flash Shelton details how he goes about removing squatters from illegally taking over people’s homes on ‘Fox News @ Night.’

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, a Republican, signed into law on Monday a bill that strengthens the rights of homeowners against squatters who illegally occupy their property.

The measure, House Bill 182, was sponsored by state Rep. Craig Lipscomb and creates harsher penalties for individuals who occupy property they do not own. Additionally, the measure enhances penalties for those who falsify real estate documents – such as a lease or deed – in an effort to show they have a right to occupy the property.

The new law, which received bipartisan support in the state legislature and will become enforceable on June 1, also establishes a process administered by local law enforcement officials to rapidly remove individuals who are wrongfully occupying property they do not own.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/red-state-governor-signs-bill-cracking-down-squatters-best-dwelling-them-is-jail-cell
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 04:29:47 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson