Author Topic: A First Draft of the History of 2024 (Jeffrey Tucker)  (Read 432 times)

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
A First Draft of the History of 2024 (Jeffrey Tucker)
« on: May 08, 2024, 02:48:44 pm »
https://www.theepochtimes.com/opinion/a-first-draft-of-the-history-of-2024-post-5645414

A First Draft of the History of 2024
By Jeffrey A. Tucker
5/7/2024

NOTE: when reading at the Epoch Times, either use "reader mode" in your browser, or DISABLE javascript using free add-ons or extensions.

Excerpts:
What will historians say about the current year ten years hence? I’ve tried my hand at a first draft.

Four years following the COVID lockdowns, 2024 was the strangest of all, with whole populations trying to behave as if life was normal, spending far more than they can afford simply because no one wanted to accept the dramatic change, much less that it was a permanent one.

Credit card debt soared just as it was least affordable to hold, even as news of government spending trillions upon trillions became something of a white noise of public life. The United States was fully at war with Russia but through surreptitious means: it paid its own military contractors to conduct the war and therefore never had to declare it.

Billions flowed to favored industrial interests that benefited from foreign conflict and away from the middle class and poor. Public support for Ukraine was not real but only a class flex: it indicated that you are on the smart side, not the dumb side, in a society ever more torn by strange, seemingly unpredictable, and mostly symbolic divisions.

It was the last days of seeming prosperity. The spoils were being divided.

The economy did not look utterly terrible from the numbers alone but that was because of data manipulation from the top. This allowed most people to pretend that life could become normal again, if they just ignored obvious contrary signs and behaved as they did in the past, whatever that could mean based on what people remembered of the before times.
[...]
Eventually the luxuries too became less frequent, as the signs of prosperity widely shared only a few years earlier became available only to those who won in the years of the Great Reset.
[...]
Service was worse everywhere. It was an unusual flight that departed and arrived on time. Amenities in every sector turned into opportunities for new charges. Bills became too complicated to understand as every company learned to hide new charges in financial statements that no one read. The whole goal of professional life became to collect as much as possible from others, like a polite pillaging that had the form but not the substance of market transaction.
[...]
The most immediate priority became personal safety. In areas that were once safe and where stealing was unknown, crime became the norm. What was shocking at first became an expectation and people adjusted behavior accordingly. Businesses in large cities with street-level store fronts closed.
Major sections of cities were overtaken with tents, trash fires, and wandering addicts, creating apocalyptic scenes that only the brave dared film. Half of smaller businesses could no longer pay the rent on time.
[...]
The apocalypse could be anything but it was obvious to all that the current system could not last. The candle was burning from both ends, financially and otherwise. The problem was that no one knew for sure how long it would burn.
[...]
The signs of breakage were everywhere, from airplanes to websites to appliances, and ever less anomalous. In time, and given the trauma of the pandemic years, memories of good times past began to fade. What was once called high civilization gradually evolved into a gray and dull routine of surviving one more day, come what may.

Everyone knew it. But few spoke about it, simply because there was nothing to be gained by doing so.
[...]
Rather than think about such big issues, it was far easier to recall life from only five years earlier and do one’s best to reenact that in the hope that something would change and life would normalize. We would surely remember what it was like to aspire to a humane and free existence, the very slogans that the president would periodically invoke even though no one believed them.

Such was life in 2024: the all-enveloping reality of one world gone and a new one created, but without announcement, without a public plan, and without any genuine public consensus. It all sort of just happened, somewhere and sometime in a confused mélange of masks, shots, screaming propaganda, and a prescribed strange dance to avoid a virus that everyone got anyway.

People did what they were told, by and large, and ended up with something about which only a few warned and no one promised. In the following year, even the manufactured illusion of normalcy gave way to something far worse.

More at URL above...

Poster's comment:
The additional writing between the [...]'s above is just as good.

A very good piece with keen introspection on "what's coming"...

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: A First Draft of the History of 2024 (Jeffrey Tucker)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 03:22:55 pm »
 :bkmk:

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 06:15:01 pm »
I have tried everything I know short of subscription to read this without success.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 06:31:25 pm »
I have tried everything I know short of subscription to read this without success.

I take the pulp weekly paper, so I am automatically subscribed to the online.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 06:38:17 pm »

My Fire tablet gives me a "read simplified view" option when I click on the link that lets me read it. @Bigun
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 10:37:33 pm »
Bigun wrote:
"I have tried everything I know short of subscription to read this without success"

Well, you could try a Mac... heh.
(actually, only half-joking there. nothing beats the Mac platform. Apple's politics don't matter, even Rush knew that)

You're using Windows, right?
What browser are you using?

Surely for your browser there must be a way to get free extensions, plugins and add-ons.

Go to the page where you get them.

In the search box, enter "javascript" or try "disable javascript".

You may get one or more hits.
They probably all work about the same way.

Install one of these -- it will probably go "up above" in the tool bar area of the browser.

It's just "a toggle switch".
If javascript is on, it will toggle it OFF and reload the page.
If javascript is off, it will toggle it ON and reload the page.
It doesn't do ANYTHING else.

Go to the Epoch Times, and "hit the javascript button".
Turn off javascript and the Epoch Times comes in just fine.

I don't use windows and don't know if browsers on the windows side have "reader mode". Safari and other Mac Browsers (like Brave) have it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 10:56:02 pm »
My Fire tablet gives me a "read simplified view" option when I click on the link that lets me read it. @Bigun

Do they still use the Silk web browser?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 11:04:11 pm »
Do they still use the Silk web browser?

Yes
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 11:33:35 pm »
OK, to add to my reply above about how to read an article at The Epoch Times...

I've got something called Parallels on the Mac, which lets me run Windows 11 in a virtual machine. Tried running MS Edge, and was able to get it going.

I then went to the Epoch Times page, and opened an article.
Of course, I got the "subscription block".

Poking around the tool bar in Edge, I found something called "immersive reader mode" (or something along that line).

I clicked that and the contents of the article became readable.

Try it.

I'm going to take a guess that many browsers on the PC side have something similar.

C'mon -- I'm the dumbest guy in the forum. If I can do it, YOU can do it...!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 11:48:55 pm »
OK, to add to my reply above about how to read an article at The Epoch Times...

I've got something called Parallels on the Mac, which lets me run Windows 11 in a virtual machine. Tried running MS Edge, and was able to get it going.

I then went to the Epoch Times page, and opened an article.
Of course, I got the "subscription block".

Poking around the tool bar in Edge, I found something called "immersive reader mode" (or something along that line).

I clicked that and the contents of the article became readable.

Try it.

I'm going to take a guess that many browsers on the PC side have something similar.

C'mon -- I'm the dumbest guy in the forum. If I can do it, YOU can do it...!

I had Parallels when I had a mac.  I needed to run W98 at the time to use my business software (key fob Token oriented VPN) to connect to the automatic testing machines in my lab from home.

I got the Mac because the only Windows I could get at the time was Vista, and it didn't work with anything.  I liked the Mac until Snow Leopard came out, which made the Mac run like snails and I went back to Windows.  Fortunately Vista died a quick death.
I will NOT comply.