Author Topic: Parents Sue School Board After School Suspends Student For Saying ‘Illegal Aliens’  (Read 85 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Parents Sue School Board After School Suspends Student For Saying ‘Illegal Aliens’

HAILEY GOMEZ GENERAL ASSIGNMENT REPORTER
May 07, 2024 4:45 PM ET

The Liberty Justice Center (LJC) filed a lawsuit against the Davidson County Board of Education Tuesday on behalf of 16-year-old Christian McGhee, who was suspended after using the term “illegal aliens” in class.

A press statement released by the LJC calls out the North Carolina school board for allegedly violating McGhee’s “rights to free speech, education, and due process.” The lawsuit argues that not only was there allegedly no basis for the teen’s suspension due to the protection of the First Amendment, but that the infraction on McGhee’s academic record should also be removed.

“Even though Christian asked a factual, non-threatening question—about a word the class was discussing—the school board branded him with false accusations of racism,” Senior Counsel at the Liberty Justice Center Buck Dougherty alleged in the release.

“The school has not only violated his constitutional right to free speech, but also his right to due process and his right to access education, a guaranteed right under North Carolina law. We are proud to stand beside Christian and his family in challenging this egregious violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments,” he further alleged.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/05/07/d...ustice-center/

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson