Author Topic: Sea Surface Temperatures: West Versus East Coast.  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Sea Surface Temperatures: West Versus East Coast.
« on: May 08, 2024, 10:14:26 am »

May 04, 2024
Sea Surface Temperatures: West Versus East Coast.

Perhaps, this blog spends too much time talking about the atmosphere, so to make amends today, let's see what is happening to the temperature of the ocean surface.  And see whether anything unusual is going on.

Let's start with yesterday's sea surface temperatures around North America (below).  Sorry, it is all in °C.   Keep in mind that 10°C is roughly 50F,  20°C is around 68F, and 30°C is approximately 86F.

The eastern Pacific near the West Coast is cold (about 50F), with central California's waters a bit cooler than ours. You must head to the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula to find the water warm enough for comfortable swimming.

The East Coast is a study in contrasts.  The water off of New England is crazy cold (dropping below 7C), while the uber-warm Gulf Stream is found along the west coast of Florida, moves past the Carolinas, and then heads northeastward into the Atlantic.   

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2024/05/sea-surface-temperatures-west-versus.html#google_vignette
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Sea Surface Temperatures: West Versus East Coast.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 03:07:37 pm »
In the US, the Pacific is colder than the Atlantic?  Shocking.   *****rollingeyes***** *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 03:58:47 pm »
I wonder if the warm anomaly in the Caribbean will result in some early season hurricanes.  Supposedly, la nina can also weaken the shear and allow for cyclogenesis in areas that normally are hostile. 

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 04:30:31 pm »
The water off New England isn't "scary" cold ... there's no steam coming off the seawater nor is Boston harbor frozen.

Now that the Pacific appears to be transitioning from an El Nino to a La Nina, is this another excuse for TV weather personalities to lecture us about the impending doom of Climate Change?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 04:32:20 pm »
The water off New England isn't "scary" cold ... there's no steam coming off the seawater nor is Boston harbor frozen.

Now that the Pacific appears to be transitioning from an El Nino to a La Nina, is this another excuse for TV weather personalities to lecture us about the impending doom of Climate Change?

Every story about the weather can be spun into a Climate Change story.  Doubt it?  Just watch the Weather Channel....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: