Author Topic: The Supreme Court is nearing the end of its term. Here are the cases it still has to decide.  (Read 501 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Supreme Court is nearing the end of its term. Here are the cases it still has to decide.

Washington — The Supreme Court has wrapped up arguments for its current term and until around the end of June, it will be handing down opinions for the remaining cases, among them, over a dozen involving hot-button issues including abortion, guns, homelessness, Purdue Pharma's bankruptcy plan and the prosecution of former President Donald Trump.

This term, which began in October 2023, follows two in which the Supreme Court handed down consequential decisions unwinding the constitutional right to abortion and bringing to an end affirmative action in higher education. The justices kicked off this latest slate of cases with several involving administrative law and online speech. But it was a pair of disputes involving Trump that captured widespread attention and thrust the justices into the center of legal battles with high stakes for the former president as he mounts a bid to return to the White House...

Excerpt: Rest at above link

The most important of which is Loper Bright Enterprises, Inc. v. Raimondo and Relentless, Inc. v. Department of Commerce
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 06:31:41 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PeteS in CA

There are some biggies, a few of which are:

Presidential immunity for Trump
The regulatory power of federal agencies
Loper Bright Enterprises, Inc. v. Raimondo and Relentless, Inc. v. Department of Commerce

Argued Jan. 17

In a major challenge to the power of federal agencies, these two cases call on the Supreme Court to overrule its 1984 decision in Chevron v. National Resources Defense Council. That case laid out the framework, known as Chevron deference, that requires judges to defer to an agency's interpretation of ambiguous statutes if it is reasonable.
Obstruction charge for Jan. 6 defendants
Anti-camping ordinances
City of Grants Pass v. Johnson

Argued April 22

Arising out of an Oregon city's ordinances banning public camping, the case raises whether it's a violation of the Eighth Amendment's protection against cruel and unusual punishment to punish homeless people with civil citations for camping on public property when they have nowhere else to go.

There are very significant cases besides those I quoted.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
There are some biggies, a few of which are:

There are very significant cases besides those I quoted.

All of them are significant. Highly so. Our founders would not believe we have allowed ourselves to get to this point.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'd like to see the Chevron decision fall, personally.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

What do you mean by "fall". @Weird Tolkienish Figure

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Absolutely.  I can remember seeing some very complicated rules (especially around reauthorized CAA) that had specific regulations that could be interpreted dozens of differebt ways.  And I remember seeing my own interpreation change by each reading.  Making a regulated entity comply with a moving vague target is an unacceptable process that not only gives regulators like the EPA unchecked power, it is unfair when then equirements are administered and enforced differently.

This country has some of the most anti-business regulations and statutes in the world.  That is why you are not seeing a continued boom in industry in this country.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Absolutely.  I can remember seeing some very complicated rules (especially around reauthorized CAA) that had specific regulations that could be interpreted dozens of differebt ways.  And I remember seeing my own interpreation change by each reading.  Making a regulated entity comply with a moving vague target is an unacceptable process that not only gives regulators like the EPA unchecked power, it is unfair when then equirements are administered and enforced differently.

This country has some of the most anti-business regulations and statutes in the world.  That is why you are not seeing a continued boom in industry in this country.

:amen: And it's not accidental! Anyone who thinks Chevron is good law does not deserve to be free IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 08:02:25 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PeteS in CA

I'm hoping the City of Grants Pass v. Johnson case ends up overturning or gutting the Boise decision. Boise basically makes it extremely difficult for cities to remove Sacred Homeless who want to live on sidewalks and parks and park trails. It is in force in the Ninth Circuit, but it's a potential precedent against any city in the US. Overturning Boise won't magically create in every city the will to remove Sacred Homeless, but it will free up cities that do want to but have been restrained/constrained by Boise.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
:amen: And it's not accidental!

This is somewhat anecdotal, but this was one of the favorite moments of my career.

Our local  state office had brought us in for an enforcement conference around a real vague fugitive emissions infraction that had one set of interpretive analysis that had been understood as the standard for years. 

The agressive enforcement agent started reading the regulation to us with vigor and anger and accused us of intentionally breaking the rule.
However, I had a consultant particpate in the hearing, who countered the opposite.  The agent lashed out and accused him of not knowing what he was talking about.

My consultant responded......  Do you know who wrote this regulation?  Me!!!!  Our consultant was a former head and lead General Counsel of the state's Reguatory Section.   Man did that pencil head's face  turn red.   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I'm hoping the City of Grants Pass v. Johnson case ends up overturning or gutting the Boise decision. Boise basically makes it extremely difficult for cities to remove Sacred Homeless who want to live on sidewalks and parks and park trails. It is in force in the Ninth Circuit, but it's a potential precedent against any city in the US. Overturning Boise won't magically create in every city the will to remove Sacred Homeless, but it will free up cities that do want to but have been restrained/constrained by Boise.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
What do you mean by "fall". @Weird Tolkienish Figure

Get reversed? Did I commit some great sin?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Get reversed? Did I commit some great sin?

No! I just wasn't sure what you meant. I get it now. @Weird Tolkienish Figure

- J. R. R. Tolkien