Author Topic: Gov. Hochul says young black kids don't know the word "computer"  (Read 2497 times)

Offline mountaineer

If they do, then I guess they ain't really black (using Biden logic).

From Twitter: “Young black kids growing up in the Bronx who don’t even know what the word ‘computer’ is,” - New York Governor Kathy Hochul, saying something that would get a Republican instantly cancelled, but it’s (D)ifferent.

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDalton/status/1787661720753959134
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Gov. Hochul says young black kids don't know the word "computer"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 06:37:02 pm »
 ////00000////

African-Americans have heard of "computers".  The Cyberdyne Systems developer of Skynet was African-American.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online LMAO

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 09:49:26 pm »
She doesn’t strike me as being very bright
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 09:51:32 pm »

Isn't that prerequisite?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 10:31:53 pm »
White House distances itself from Hochul black children ‘computer’ comments
Story by Haisten Willis, Washington Examiner via MSN
May 7, 2024
The White House said it had not heard a high-profile Democrat's comments regarding black children in the Bronx, but offered a mild rebuke nonetheless.

"Obviously, we don’t think that is the right way to speak about young people in any way, in any form," press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Tuesday when asked about the brewing controversy.

Gov. Kathy Hochul (D-NY) had a foot-in-mouth moment during a presentation Monday, in which she claimed black children do not know what the word "computer" means.

During an AI-focused discussion at the Milken Institute Global Conference, Hochul pushed making AI more equitable for all communities because “right now we have young black kids growing up in the Bronx who don’t even know what the word ‘computer’ is.” ...

In her apology, Hochul wrote, "of course black children in the Bronx know what computers are — the problem is that they too often lack access to the technology needed to get on track to high-paying jobs in emerging industries like AI. That’s why I’ve been focused on increasing economic opportunity since Day One of my Administration, and will continue that fight to ensure every New Yorker has a shot at a good-paying job.”
So lame.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 10:37:46 pm »
I'm going to go out on the limb and defend what she said.

While most black kids (and perhaps hispanic kids, as well) will be familiar with smartphones and tablets, I'm wondering how many of their homes actually have a "personal computer" in them?

I'll reckon a quarter to a third, if that many.
They might have to wait to get to school to have much "hands on" with a computer of their own.

I'll cheerfully accept being proven wrong on this assumption.

Online corbe

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 10:52:34 pm »
  60 years of this and they don't have to know Computers as long as they know 'Free Entitlement'.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 10:56:50 pm »
They've been given free iPhones. Close enough.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 11:09:53 pm »
I'm going to go out on the limb and defend what she said.

While most black kids (and perhaps hispanic kids, as well) will be familiar with smartphones and tablets, I'm wondering how many of their homes actually have a "personal computer" in them?

I'll reckon a quarter to a third, if that many.
They might have to wait to get to school to have much "hands on" with a computer of their own.

I'll cheerfully accept being proven wrong on this assumption.

You're showing your age. No offense meant, as I am in the same boat. My early millennial son is a network fiend... Does it for a living, But all his servers are headless - He operates from a tiny chromebook most of the time, or from his phone. He seldom hauls out a laptop, and is hardly ever at his desk.

Though I am better with it. There are between five and seven desktops in this house - two operating as servers, but I tend to access them all with my laptop or this Surface in tablet configuration... I can do it with my phone, but very awkwardly.

Millennials' function like that natively.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 11:10:06 pm »
:facepalm2:

Online DB

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 11:11:55 pm »
You're showing your age. No offense meant, as I am in the same boat. My early millennial son is a network fiend... Does it for a living, But all his servers are headless - He operates from a tiny chromebook most of the time, or from his phone. He seldom hauls out a laptop, and is hardly ever at his desk.

Though I am better with it. There are between five and seven desktops in this house - two operating as servers, but I tend to access them all with my laptop or this Surface in tablet configuration... I can do it with my phone, but very awkwardly.

I need a BIG screen and a mouse... Can't really function without them...

Online Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 11:14:45 pm »

It all depends on what one is doing whether it makes sense to access via laptop/desktop, tablet, or phone.  I've been able to keep tabs on, and restart, several cloud-based servers using the phone interface (AWS).

Online corbe

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 11:17:49 pm »

Though from Texas I don't have a big belt buckle or Truck but I have a 30" Monitor.

Aerosmith - "Big Ten Inch Record"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SNcyNHkiYg
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 11:19:08 pm »

Used to be the same - though I would rather a full KB to a mouse. And I hate hauling out my glasses. Especially in long sessions. A large form laptop is probably my sweet spot. My current main laptop is a 15" monitor... I would love a 17", and will buy the first one I find.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2024, 11:27:49 pm »
It all depends on what one is doing whether it makes sense to access via laptop/desktop, tablet, or phone.  I've been able to keep tabs on, and restart, several cloud-based servers using the phone interface (AWS).

That's mostly right... Full function for me would be a desktop or laptop... After that I am trading function for convenience and/or portability. As to preference, I guess I ought to code from a full box... But it's laptop most of the time... ported into DEV which is on my server. Anything more intense for me is probably hands-on (hard drives and such), so that is going to be at the bench, at least to fire it up.

Surfing, messaging, PIM... all that has migrated to the point that I can function well on any device, though I still would prefer a full KB to an on-screen.

Online DB

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 11:37:19 pm »
Used to be the same - though I would rather a full KB to a mouse. And I hate hauling out my glasses. Especially in long sessions. A large form laptop is probably my sweet spot. My current main laptop is a 15" monitor... I would love a 17", and will buy the first one I find.

I use a separate 32" 4k monitor where the font is still small (125% scaling) but I can get a boat load of things on the screen. From schematics and PCB layout to lots of code.

And I can't do that with a 15" or 17" laptop 4k monitor... Then the font is just too small for me... But the laptop 4k monitor does do it cleanly.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 11:38:17 pm by DB »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2024, 11:47:37 pm »

I think Hochul accidentally said the quiet part out loud. I think that's the way far too many leftists think of blacks. They can deny it all they want, but every so often a truth will slip out to remind us of how they see the political landscape. If blacks and other minorities are self sufficient, they won't be needing the Dems. (Refer to @corbe's LBJ graphic above.)

@DB

Thee and me. I have an old desktop that's still meeting my needs. I'd love to update and get a bigger screen (or 2 screens just for the heck of it), but $$$. I use my phone and my old phone which is now just a device for low-activity internet access, but I need my desktop to participate on my message boards.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 11:52:49 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2024, 11:58:22 pm »
What are they accessing facebook, twitter/x etc. with then? This isn't 1988 any more.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2024, 12:05:45 am »
I use a separate 32" 4k monitor where the font is still small (125% scaling) but I can get a boat load of things on the screen. From schematics and PCB layout to lots of code.

And I can't do that with a 15" or 17" laptop 4k monitor... Then the font is just too small for me... But the laptop 4k monitor does do it cleanly.

I don't recall what my main monitor is on my desk... I think it's a 22", with 2 17's, one on either side. There's also a KVM setup on the main to send me over to my main test box, so I can operate that from my desk too.

But I'm a dinosaur. I do OOP, but badly, always going to line coding in all things. So I have a text editor, a cmd box, and my BaknBits (boilerplate and custom pre-made code), along with a file tree open, and that's all I need. Got pretty fancy when I went to a tabbed editor and a tabbed cmdbox.

The left-side monitor is always sitting on my main server, the right usually dedicated to PIM or the Project Manager. If I have Project management up, my PIM is on my laptop or my tablet, which is another station on my desk, though that station is usually in stand-by.

The only thing that sucks is that my test box needs it's own KB... so sending the vid over to my desk mains I have to run 2 KB at once... That's kinda a kludge, but I make do.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2024, 12:08:57 am »

I love laptops. To me, phones and tablets never really improved that much on laptops (well phones are a different story with a different use case).

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 12:28:34 am »
I'm only on a laptop if I'm in hunting camp. At home I'm on my desktop with a full keyboard, mouse, and a 24 in monitor that my son left. He's a gamer and his set-up used 6 monitors.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 05:07:18 am »

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2024, 05:14:51 am »
I'm only on a laptop if I'm in hunting camp. At home I'm on my desktop with a full keyboard, mouse, and a 24 in monitor that my son left. He's a gamer and his set-up used 6 monitors.

A laptop with a docking station connected to a separate keyboard, mouse and monitor is what I do. I have two locations where I use the same laptop with identical setups. Makes it easy to switch locations while having everything current.