Author Topic: “Powerless in the storm” Climate Industry Misdirection  (Read 160 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
“Powerless in the storm” Climate Industry Misdirection
10 hours ago Guest Blogger 17 Comments

Roger Caiazza

I came across a paper that concludes “The US power grid is proven to be highly reliable in general; however, the resilient and reliable grid operation is increasingly challenged by severe weather events–events that are increasing in frequency and magnitude due to climate change.”  I have many issues with this paper, but I am only going to discuss one.  Apparently peer reviewed papers today require marginal support for claiming increasing severity because everyone knows that climate change affects the frequency and magnitude of severe weather events

The paper in question is  “Powerless in the storm: Severe weather driven power outages in New York State, 2017–2020” (Flores NM, Northrop AJ, Do V, Gordon M, Jiang Y, Rudolph KE, et al. (2024) Powerless in the storm: Severe weather-driven power outages in New York State, 2017–2020. PLOS Clim 3(5): e0000364. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pclm.0000364)

The only proof cited to “support climate change is increasing weather variability” is the reference to this sentence: “The power grid’s vulnerability to severe weather events becomes even more critical in the context of climate change, which is expected to increase weather variability and prevalence of extreme events (e.g., storms, wildfires, heatwaves, floods)”.  The reference included cites the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report: IPCC, 2022: Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Sixth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Portner H.-O., Roberts D.C., Tignor M., Poloczanska E.S., Mintenbeck K., Alegrı´a A., Craig M., Langsdorf S., Lo¨schke S., Mo¨ ller V., Okem A., Rama B. (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA, 3056 pp., https://doi.org/10.1017/9781009325844

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/05/06/powerless-in-the-storm-climate-industry-misdirection/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: “Powerless in the storm” Climate Industry Misdirection
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 11:05:42 am »
Climate change claims are based on circular logic of conjecture, accusations, and speculation used as proof of it's claims.

It's basically a bum rush of fearmongering to herd the cattle, aka Marxist dialectic of false dichotomy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: “Powerless in the storm” Climate Industry Misdirection
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 10:27:27 pm »
title:
“Powerless in the storm” Climate Industry Misdirection...

Don't be fooled.
The real storm here is the maelstrom of advancing marxism/communism.
And it's hardly even begun to blow yet...