Author Topic: Germany accused of ‘policy madness’ after hiking airline passenger tax  (Read 110 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Germany accused of ‘policy madness’ after hiking airline passenger tax
Jump in aviation levies could hamper industry’s net zero goals, warns IATA boss

Melissa Lawford
2 May 2024 • 11:32am

Willie Walsh claims Germany's 'short-term cash grab' will damage the economy's long-term growth CREDIT: Reuters/Dilara Senkaya

Germany has been accused of “policy madness” over its decision to increase airline passenger taxes by nearly a fifth.

A group of the world’s largest airlines have warned that a 19pc jump in Germany’s aviation levies will damage the country’s economy and erode the industry’s ability to hit net zero.

The change, which came into force on Wednesday, will mean that each passenger flying to and from German airports must now pay between €15.53 (£13.28) and €70.83 in tax on their fares.

Willie Walsh, director general of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) lobby group and former boss of British Airways, said: “When Germany’s economic performance is anaemic at best, denting its competitiveness with more taxes on aviation is policy madness.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/05/02/germany-policy-madness-hiking-airline-passenger-tax/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson