Author Topic: CA bill could make it easier for large developers to ax iconic (Joshua) trees  (Read 3627 times)

Offline mountaineer

California bill could make it easier for large developers to ax iconic trees
By Alec Regimbal
May 3, 2024
SF Gate
A bill working its way through the California legislature would make it less burdensome for commercial and industrial developers to cut down Joshua trees, one of the state’s most iconic plants.

Existing law requires developers to pay a fee for each Joshua tree they remove unless they take certain steps to alleviate damage done to the environment. Enacted in 2023, the Western Joshua Tree Conservation Act also allows local governments to levy smaller fees for minor development projects.

But an assemblymember representing a broad swath of the Mojave Desert, where the trees grow, wants to make it easier to cut them down. Assembly Bill 2443, if passed, would let cities and counties offer the same benefits to developers looking to build larger “industrial projects and commercial projects.” ...

A legislative analysis of the bill said opponents believe the bill’s passage could result in the destruction of “hundreds” of trees in a single project. They also say, according to the analysis, that allowing large developers to pay smaller fees could decrease the money the state collects for conservation by “50% or more,” and that the Western Joshua Tree Conservation Act is so new that any changes would blunt its impact. ...

Offline mountaineer

Basin & Range Watch
@BasinRange
4,200 Joshua trees are scheduled to be removed are replaced by solar panels for the Aratina Solar Project near Boron, CA in June of this year.  They will not be salvaged but funds based on the size of the tree will be placed in a mitigation bank.
1:43 PM · May 4, 2024

Mike LaChance
@MikeLaChance33
We have to destroy the environment in order to save it.
6:24 PM · May 5, 2024

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
But don't you dare drive your ORV's out there because they are bad for the environment, sanctimonious hypocrites need to be tarred and feathered and run out on rails. It really makes you wonder why they even bothered with this https://www.fs.usda.gov/wildflowers/pollinators/animals/joshuatreeseed/index.shtml#:~:text=Joshua%20trees%20are%20pollinated%20only,remarkable%20example%20of%20co%2Devolution.

Offline PeteS in CA

Basin & Range Watch
@BasinRange
4,200 Joshua trees are scheduled to be removed are replaced by solar panels for the Aratina Solar Project near Boron, CA in June of this year.  They will not be salvaged but funds based on the size of the tree will be placed in a mitigation bank.
1:43 PM · May 4, 2024

Mike LaChance
@MikeLaChance33
We have to destroy the environment in order to save it.
6:24 PM · May 5, 2024

This proposed bill had me scratching my head. I've driven through areas that have Joshua trees (along I-10) multiple times. It's not prime residential development real estate. That the Greenies want it for a Bird Fryer farm boondoggle makes Prog-sense of the bill.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

IOW, we must destroy the trees to save the trees.
 *****rollingeyes*****

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Why don't they just put the solar panels in Palm Springs?  That way, it will only impact rich bastards.

////00000////

The Mojave Green Rattlesnakes will be pissed ...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 07:39:45 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Communist Dog avatar is misinformation for the Ministry of Truth to mis-idenitfy me as a Russian misinformation troll bot.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CA solar firm rips into wilderness: Will it doom 4,200 Joshua Trees?
By
Kathleen Marquardt
|
May 18th, 2024

Some Greens are waking up to the ills of so-called “green” energy. And it’s about time. And rather fun to watch – if the drive for the holier-than-thou green grail hadn’t already done so much damage to the beautiful environment of our great country.

Basin and Range Watch posted on X: 4,200 Joshua trees are scheduled to be removed and replaced by solar panels for the Aratina Solar Project near Boron, CA, in June of this year. The trees will not be salvaged, but funds based on their size will be placed in a mitigation bank.

Wow, but keep in mind Joshua trees are not very big. And how do they figure out the fund size? Who cares?! If they can be cavalier about thousands of Joshua trees, think about what else will not be worth salvaging.

Jason Brown, on sierrawave.net, posted a short piece titled “Shadows Over Joshua Tree: Sacrificing Nature for Solar Power”. He notes:

https://www.cfact.org/2024/05/18/ca-solar-firm-rips-into-wilderness-will-it-doom-4200-joshua-trees/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 11:31:21 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It depends on how much grease they have to put in Newsom's back pocket. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

Offline GtHawk

Forget the plain and simple fact that solar in California is not economically viable because the market is so saturated all the electricity produced is more than can be used in the state during the day forcing utilities to pay other states to take the excess and reduce payments to homeowners pushing their excess to the grid.

Online Hoodat

It's not 'climate change' that is killing off joshua trees.  It's 'climate change hysteria' that's doing it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

It's not 'climate change' that is killing off joshua trees.  It's 'climate change hysteria' that's doing it.
Same thing that's killing off segments of the economy.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Same thing that's killing off segments of the economy.
If they get their way, they'll be killing off people with this crap. But then, that's what their guidestones said to do...13 out of every 14 people.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

Why don't they just put the solar panels in Palm Springs?  That way, it will only impact rich bastards.

////00000////

The Mojave Green Rattlesnakes will be pissed ...

Because in Palm Springs they are rich GAY bastards and besides the land around there is already covered with windmills.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Thousands of Joshua Trees set to fall victim to Green-Energy transition
By
Bonner Cohen, Ph. D.
|
June 28th, 2024

More than 3,500 majestic Joshua trees in California’s Mojave Desert are being shredded onsite to make way for thousands of solar panels under a plan approved by California and Kern County officials.

The sprawling solar project will produce intermittent energy on 2,300 acres of land near the small towns of Boron and Desert Lake. It is not clear whether any of the electricity produced at the solar site will serve some nearby communities. But the project’s developer, California-based Avantus, says contracts have been signed to deliver some of the power to Silicon Valley Clean Energy and Central Coast Community Energy, both are nonprofits that provide green energy to homes in more affluent coastal communities, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Even though many of the trees are estimated to be between 100 and 200 years old, government approval of the solar project in 2021 predated a state decision to protect the Joshua tree under the California Endangered Species Act and last year’s enactment by the legislature of the Joshua Tree Conservation Act, which bans unpermitted killing of the trees. As a result, the targeted trees are defenseless.

Now that the fate of the Joshua trees has been sealed, the developer is at pains to justify the Aratina Solar Project by citing its role in combatting manmade climate change.

https://www.cfact.org/2024/06/28/thousands-of-joshua-trees-set-to-fall-victim-to-green-energy-transition/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Companies making money and governments getting tax revenue from them, is the only true way to save the environment and if a few thousand trees are sacrificed, it's all for the good of the planet! *****rollingeyes*****
Thomas Jefferson

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Also note that the expected electricity to be produced will only serve Silicon Valley and the wealthy enclaves on the coast...local residents who have to live with this will get nothing.  Same thing going on here in Pennsylvania...solar farms built in Adams, York, and Franklin Counties are supplying Philly and nothing else.

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," "psychopathic POS," "depraved SOB," and "Never Trump Moron."

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline Mod2

Merged three threads on Joshua trees.

Offline PeteS in CA

Merged three threads on Joshua trees.

888high58888

California has two major electric utilities. There is no way to divide power going to Silicon Valley from power going to Arbuckle.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.