General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

Elections in Yorkshire: The Muslim Empire strikes back hard at Ye Olde England

(1/1)

mystery-ak:
May 4, 2024
Elections in Yorkshire: The Muslim Empire strikes back hard at Ye Olde England
By Andrea Widburg

I spent one of the happiest years of my life in Leeds, Yorkshire, England. Now, I’m afraid I’d be run out of town for being Jewish. Cementing that feeling is a video that’s circulating on X showing one of the newest members of the Leeds City Council celebrating his victory with a cry of “Allahu Akbar.”

In 1981, I got accepted to the University of Leeds for my junior year abroad in England. I was absolutely devastated. I’d had dreams of strolling through the medieval streets and quads of Oxford or the courts of Cambridge. Instead, I was being banished to the desolate north to a late Victorian institution.

I was so wrong to be disappointed. I adored my time in Leeds. No, it wasn’t all beautiful and medieval, but I had fun from beginning to end. Additionally—especially for a person coming from San Francisco—fall and spring dazzled me. To this day, I’ve never seen a more lovely spring than I did in Leeds when my daily walk between my flat and my classes took me through a park that had acres of snowdrops, crocuses, daffodils, roses, horse chestnuts, and other feasts for the eye.

What I also discovered about Leeds was the sheer Englishness of it all. As a committed Anglophile since my childhood, I basked in the fact that Leeds felt like England. The same was not the case in Southern England. London was a cosmopolitan, multicultural city; Oxford and Cambridge had international student populations; and the more popular tourist destinations had visitors from around the world who drowned out the locals. But Leeds, specifically, and Northern England, more generally, were English.

And then I left Leeds and never went back.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/05/elections_in_yorkshire_the_muslim_empire_strikes_back_hard_at_ye_olde_england.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version