Author Topic: The Marines want to ‘litter the battlefield’ with anti-drone sensors  (Read 273 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Marines want to ‘litter the battlefield’ with anti-drone sensors
Some units will get portable devices within a year, officials said.
SAM SKOVE | MAY 3, 2024 06:07 PM ET
MARINE CORPS DRONES

The Marine Corps wants to employ more passive sensors and kinetic weapons to find and take down drones, and plans to field personal drone detectors in the next 12 months, officers said Thursday at the Modern Day Marine conference.

Some Marines in Marine Expeditionary Units, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Europe, and the 4th Marine Regiment will get the scanners, said Captain Taylor Barefoot, the Counter Unmanned Aerial Systems Capabilities Integration officer in the Marine Corps’ Capabilities Development Directorate.

“In the next twelve months, there’s going to be systems out there fielded to this at a basic level,” Barefoot said. More advanced systems are also in the works.

Such scanners typically check for radio signals sent to and from drones. Some also use auditory cues to identify drones.

Ukrainians widely use hand-held scanners to alert them to incoming enemy drones. Some models can identify specific models, like the Orlan-10 observation drone. Ukrainian soldiers say the scanners sound the alarm faster than their own eyes and ears.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2024/05/marines-want-litter-battlefield-anti-drone-sensors/396315/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The battlespace has changed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis