Author Topic: Houston braces for flooding to worsen in wake of storms  (Read 745 times)

Offline libertybele

Houston braces for flooding to worsen in wake of storms
« on: May 04, 2024, 07:13:12 pm »
Houston braces for flooding to worsen in wake of storms

High waters flooded neighborhoods around Houston on Saturday following heavy rains that have already resulted in crews rescuing more than 400 people from homes, rooftops and roads engulfed in murky water. Others prepared to evacuate their property.

A flood watch remained in effect through Sunday afternoon as forecasters predicted additional rainfall Saturday night, bringing another 1 to 3 inches (2.5 to 7.6 centimeters) of water to the soaked region and the likelihood of major flooding.

Aron Brown, 45, and his wife Jamie Brown, 41, were two of the many residents who drove or walked to watch the rising waters near a flooded intersection close to the San Jacinto River in the northeast Houston neighborhood of Kingswood.

The floodwaters had risen several feet and had begun to flood nearby restaurants and a gas station.

The water could be seen flowing into parts of the couple’s subdivision. But Aron Brown said he wasn’t worried as his home was at a higher elevation than other ones in their subdivision.

Aron Brown, who had driven from his home in a golf cart, said the flooding wasn’t as bad as Hurricane Harvey in 2017. He pointed to nearby power lines and said that flooding during Harvey had reached the top of the lines.

Jamie Brown said residents worry every time it rains heavily north of the area, forcing releases of water from Lake Livingston and Lake Conroe north of Kingwood that fill up the San Jacinto River.

“It seems to be more frequent though,” Jamie Brown said of the heavier rainfall.

RESIDENTS IN LOW-LYING AREAS ASKED TO EVACUATE

Friday's fierce storms forced numerous high-water rescues, including some from the rooftops of flooded homes. Officials redoubled urgent instructions for residents in low-lying areas to evacuate, warning the worst was still to come.

“A lull in heavy rain is expected through (Saturday) evening,” according to the National Weather Service. “The next round of heavy rainfall is expected late (Saturday) into Sunday.”....................

https://www.yahoo.com/news/houston-braces-flooding-worsen-wake-050329725.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

Re: Houston braces for flooding to worsen in wake of storms
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 09:25:12 pm »
Stay safe @Bigun !

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 09:30:58 pm »
I thought they were in a drought not long ago?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 12:09:39 am »
I thought they were in a drought not long ago?

You are correct but it's over now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 12:11:16 am »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 12:13:10 am »
Thanks @berdie we're fine up here.

Been thinking about you...thank God for that hill...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 12:22:29 am »
Been thinking about you...thank God for that hill...

:amen: It's a pretty valuable property now.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 12:28:46 am »
Thanks @berdie we're fine up here.

Didja have to go dig out your high-water pants yet?  :pondering:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 12:42:33 am »
:amen: It's a pretty valuable property now.

Amen for that hill.  Glad that you are dry and safe @Bigun  happy77
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.