Author Topic: Beverage company that promotes “environmental sustainability” found to be among California’s top spr  (Read 97 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Beverage company that promotes “environmental sustainability” found to be among California’s top sprayers of PARAQUAT in 2021
05/02/2024 / By Ava Grace

A beverage company that purportedly touts its “sustainability initiatives” has been found to be among California’s top sprayers of the toxic weed killer paraquat for the year 2021, according to a new analysis.

The analysis published by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that The Wonderful Company (TWC) was the Golden State’s second-largest paraquat sprayer. TWC sprayed almost 57,000 pounds of the weed killer on its fields, accounting for over 13 percent of the state’s paraquat use. Only the J.G. Boswell Company used more paraquat in the state, spraying more than 58,000 pounds.

The analysis, which drew data from the California Department of Pesticide Regulation and county agriculture commissioners, also found that both TWC and J.G. Boswell sprayed 27 percent of all the paraquat used in California. It ultimately found that just 10 farms and companies – including TWC and J.G. Boswell – sprayed 40 percent of all paraquat used in California in 2021. (Related: EWG study: Economic benefits of paraquat herbicide DO NOT outweigh its health risks.)

TWC – which owns POM pomegranate juice, Fiji Water and other popular brands – has been reportedly recognized for its sustainability initiatives.

https://www.pollution.news/2024-05-02-sustainable-beverage-company-top-paraquat-sprayer-california.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson