Author Topic: Air Force Arms Classic B-52 With Nuclear-Capable Long-Range Standoff Cruise Missile  (Read 96 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force Arms Classic B-52 With Nuclear-Capable Long-Range Standoff Cruise Missile

The US Air Force is arming its classic B-52 bomber with the cutting-edge, paradigm changing, nuclear capable Long-Range-Standoff (LRSO) weapon cruise missile
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONAPR 4, 2024
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The US Air Force is arming its classic B-52 bomber with the cutting-edge, paradigm changing, nuclear capable Long-Range-Standoff (LRSO) weapon cruise missile.

The service is seeking industry partners to “integrate” the LRSO onto the platform, something which will invariably introduce new concepts of operation for the B-52. The idea with the weapon is of course to afford commanders an opportunity to destroy enemy targets at much longer “stand-off” ranges to avoid advanced air defenses and prevent manned aircraft from being at risk. In the event that advanced enemy air defenses or other combat developments prevent stealth bombers and fighters from operating in a “stand-in” capability in closer proximity to an enemy, the LRSO can offer new air-attack options.

LRSO controversy

The LRSO is also nuclear capable, a factor which has been the subject of considerable debate. The primary concern, as articulated by members of Congress, is that the introduction of such a weapon might “lower-the-threshold” to nuclear war, making it more likely. Yet another concern is that as a “dual-capable” conventional and nuclear weapon, there is a potential risk that an adversary might mistake a conventional LRSO attack for a nuclear strike and respond with nuclear weapons. Proponents, such Pentagon, Air Force and industry weapons developers, supported by a majority of lawmakers, is that commanders need a wide range of options with which to ensure and strengthen strategic deterrence, meaning that the presence of the LRSO is much more likely to “prevent” a nuclear exchange. This view has prevailed thus far, given that the Air Force’s 2024 budget requested funds for the purchase of as many as 1,000 LRSO weapons.

https://warriormaven.com/air/air-force-arms-classic-b-52-with-nuclear-capable-long-range-standoff-cruise-missile
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson