Author Topic: The G7’s Latest Absurdly Ambitious Climate Pronouncements  (Read 93 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The G7’s Latest Absurdly Ambitious Climate Pronouncements
22 hours ago Charles Rotter 36 

The recent G7 communiqué on climate, energy, and environment policy is laden with the typical rhetoric and ambitious declarations that have come to characterize such international missives. Yet, beneath the surface of urgent calls and reaffirmed commitments lies a web of unaddressed complexities and overly optimistic goals that warrant a closer, more skeptical examination.

The Triple Global Crisis: An Overarching Narrative
The G7 ministers open with a sweeping narrative about the “triple global crisis” of climate change, biodiversity loss, and pollution, further exacerbated by desertification, land, soil and ocean degradation, water scarcity, drought, and deforestation. They assert:

“We reiterate our concerns on the gravity and urgency arising from the interlinked and mutually reinforcing global crisis of climate change, biodiversity loss, and pollution as well as desertification, land, soil and ocean degradation and water scarcity, drought and deforestation which pose a global threat to sustainable development.”

This passage sets the stage for the G7’s ambitious agenda, framing these crises as cataclysmic and implying a direct linkage with human activity, particularly through emissions and environmental degradation. However, the complexity of these issues is significantly downplayed, and the narrative leans heavily on a presumption of consensus about the causes, trajectories, and solutions to these problems.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/05/02/the-g7s-latest-absurdly-ambitious-climate-pronouncements/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson