Author Topic: Burn pits increased risk of asthma, heart problems, new DOD data shows  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Burn pits increased risk of asthma, heart problems, new DOD data shows
By Leo Shane III
 Apr 30, 02:41 PM

Veterans who served at bases with burn pits were more likely to develop asthma, hypertension and heart disease than individuals not exposed to the toxic air, according to a new study based on recently declassified Defense Department data.

The findings, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, tracked nearly 460,000 veterans receiving medical care from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Authors said it is the first comprehensive look at health outcomes for U.S. troops deployed at 126 of the largest bases used in Iraq, Afghanistan and nearby countries from 2001 to 2011.

Researchers saw a small but significant increase in rates of developing respiratory and cardiovascular diseases among those former service members.

In particular, individuals who served near burn pits were more likely years later to suffer from asthma, high blood pressure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and ischemic stroke.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2024/04/30/burn-pits-increased-risk-of-asthma-heart-problems-new-dod-data-shows/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Gee, ya think? Real Brainiac's at the DoD. Department of Dummies.
It's like someone pointed out how after SF took in all the asian boat people in the late 70's the city couldn't figure out why the duck population was drastically shrinking in Golden Gate park. Doh
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.