Author Topic: New US Government chart outlines scope of China’s naval power  (Read 100 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New US Government chart outlines scope of China’s naval power
China’s PLAN operates the largest naval force in the world, a force that it continues to modernise in order to achieve its global ambitions.

Richard Thomas
April 30, 2024

The US Office for Naval Intelligence (ONI), an official department of the US Government, has released a newly updated and unclassified publication on the development of China’s People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN), detailing the scope of China’s naval power and expansion efforts.

Releasing its latest update on the 2024 Recognition and Identification Guide, the ONI revealed that the PLAN is currently maintaining a fleet of at least 153 major naval surface combatants, which includes aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers, frigates, and corvettes.

The ONI guide also indicates that additional Renhai-class guided missile cruisers (CG) and Luyang Mod III guided missile destroyers are also under construction, which have not been counted towards the total number of major surface combatants.

Also known by the Type 055 class destroyer designation – Nato classification lists the class as CG vessels – the type are significant naval assests, measuring 180 metres (m) in length and displacing in excess of 13,000 tonnes (t). The class are built as the successor to Type 052D guided missile destroyers (DDG), and feature more than 100 vertical launch system (VLS) cells housing a range of anti-air and anti-surface weaponry.

https://www.naval-technology.com/news/new-us-government-chart-outlines-scope-of-chinas-naval-power/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson