State Chapters > California

Newsom, state leaders stay mum about pro-Palestinian protest at UCLA

(1/2) > >>

Wingnut:
Gov Greaseball is hiding.

Member of the UC Regents, including Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis and California State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmon – both running for governor – declined NBC Los Angeles’ requests for comment. State Assembly Speaker Robert Rivas also declined to offer a statement on the campus protests.

While Republicans put on the pressure, denouncing antisemitism on campuses, Newsom and his Democratic colleagues have a good reason to tip-toe around the issue, according to Jack Pitney, a political science professor at Claremont McKenna College

“If I were a Democratic party politician, I’d want to stay as far away from this as possible,” Pitney said. “If they support the students, there could be a demonstration with antisemitic references … If they support a removal of them from campus, it could result in over policing and be a very bad image.”

When anti-war protests took place on UC campuses decades ago, Gov. Ronald Reagan, a Republican, had a different approach: He famously sent in the National Guard to UC Berkeley.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/national-international/newsom-state-leaders-stay-mum-about-pro-palestinian-protest-at-ucla/3503133/

PeteS in CA:
Shades of the late 60s ... except California's then-governor dealt decisively with "anti-war protesters" at SF State and UC Santa Barbara. Will current anti-Semitics hurt LIEden the way the "anti-war protesters" hurt LBJ?

PeteS in CA:

--- Quote ---“If I were a Democratic party politician, I’d want to stay as far away from this as possible,” Pitney said. “If they support the students, there could be a demonstration with antisemitic references … If they support a removal of them from campus, it could result in over policing and be a very bad image.”
--- End quote ---

That is exactly the "reasoning" D goobernors are following. The problem is that many voters notice that inaction fosters violence and destruction almost as effectively as actively backing the anti-Semites.

Wingnut:

--- Quote from: PeteS in CA on May 01, 2024, 02:51:44 pm ---That is exactly the "reasoning" D goobernors are following. The problem is that many voters notice that inaction fosters violence and destruction almost as effectively as actively backing the anti-Semites.

--- End quote ---

What is that old saying, Silence is compliance?

DB:
Will Democrat Jews still vote for the Dems after all this?

Nothing seems to wake them up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version