General Category > Economy/Business

Walmart launches its largest private grocery brand in decades

(1/2) > >>

mystery-ak:
 April 30, 2024 3:19pm EDT | Updated April 30, 2024 3:20pm EDT
Walmart launches its largest private grocery brand in decades
Private brands have been gaining market share from national brands, Circana reported

By Daniella Genovese FOXBusiness

Walmart announced Tuesday that it is launching its largest private food brand in decades to lure in more cost-conscious shoppers.

The brand, Bettergoods, will encompass 300 items including frozen, dairy, snacks, beverages, pasta, soups, coffee and chocolate, the Arkansas-based retailer said.

All the items will cost between $2 and $15; "most products" will be priced under $5, Walmart said.

To set itself apart, Walmart touted that Bettergoods isn't a direct alternative to national brand offerings but rather "unique" to Walmart, including specialty salts and seasonings, like Hot Honey Seasoning, or jar soups, including our Creamy Corn Jalapeno Chowder.

The company already has two private labels, Great Value and Equate, which are lower-cost alternatives to national brand products.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/walmart-launches-largest-private-grocery-brand-in-decades

Wingnut:
As profit margins shrink daily, stores have to do what they can to survive.  This may have ripple effect on other chains... and not a good effect.  Private label products are becoming more popular as consumers feel their buying power shrinking. 

mountaineer:
This sounds like Kroger's "Private Selection" line, which is very good.

Wingnut:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on April 30, 2024, 10:15:17 pm ---This sounds like Kroger's "Private Selection" line, which is very good.

--- End quote ---

Yeah but, wallyworld will "survey" Kroger prices and price their private label comparables lower. 

libertybele:
I normally buy name brand foods at Walmart (other than meat) because it's much cheaper than the other supermarket that we have.  We are very limited in this area we have; Target, Walmart or Publix with Publix being at the very high end (ridiculously high). We do have one Winn Dixie but the store has much to be desired in the line of cleanliness, and I haven't shopped there in years.

So, when the new Walmart brand hits the shelves, I'll read the labels for ingredients and decide that way before I buy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version