General Category > Trump Legal Investigations

Trump New York trial: Jailing former president could spark ‘mass protests,’ experts say

(1/2) > >>

mystery-ak:
Trump New York trial: Jailing former president could spark ‘mass protests,’ experts say

By
Kaelan Deese
April 30, 2024 2:41 pm

Donald Trump received the clearest threat of jail time yet in his New York criminal trial after a judge said on Tuesday that “jail may be a necessary punishment” for future gag order violations from the former president, a statement legal experts say could have sweeping consequences on his 2024 presidential election bid.

Judge Juan Merchan, who is presiding over the criminal hush money trial against Trump, found him in contempt for nine violations of his gag order due to various social media posts about witnesses in the trial, with a fine of $1,000 for each instance and an order to delete the posts. Trump, the Republican front-runner to face off against President Joe Biden, has decried his four criminal cases as “election interference,” a claim that legal experts told the Washington Examiner could be authenticated if Merchan decides to jail him over social media posts before the trial’s expected end in late May.

“Judge Merchan is operating within his discretion, but I think he would be an automaton if he didn’t appreciate that the world is watching him and how any imprisonment would be viewed by most as true election interference — not in the hyperbolic way that Trump routinely says this trial is amounting to by its very existence,” Alton Harmon, legal analyst and corporate general counsel, told the Washington Examiner.

Former federal prosecutor Neama Rahmani told the Washington Examiner it would mark an “unprecedented step” to jail a former president and candidate during an election year, a move that would come with its own set of public policy problems.

While Harmon and Rahmani both said jailing Trump seems unlikely, Rahmani stressed that doing so “may lead to mass protests or even civil unrest.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/justice/2984573/trump-new-york-trial-jailing-former-president-spark-mass-protests/

DefiantMassRINO:
This expert says some lone wolves may act out, but, overall, Americans take great joy in seeing billionaires behind bars.

The mass revolt ship has sailed for Trump.  He took his shot on January 6th, and he missed.

Trump brought this upon himself by acting like a petulant, spoiled, trust-fund-baby A-hole.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: DefiantMassRINO on April 30, 2024, 07:52:50 pm ---This expert says some lone wolves may act out, but, overall, Americans take great joy in seeing billionaires behind bars.

The mass revolt ship has sailed for Trump.  He took his shot on January 6th, and he missed.

Trump brought this upon himself by acting like a petulant, spoiled, trust-fund-baby A-hole.

--- End quote ---

Sure Trump has tremendous support at his rallies.  I differ in opinion because I believe that J6 was orchestrated by Pelosi, Pence and others.  Those that were arrested on J6 were made examples of to warn his supporters that any further protesters standing up for Trump will be dealt with.

There won't be any widespread outcrying for Trump if he is incarcerated.  That is where I believe he is absolutely wrong in thinking his supporters will stop at nothing to rally around him.

Bradon may have dementia, ruined the economy, threatening 46% taxes, but he or another DEM will be elected. 

If Trump goes away (which I think he will), the GOP has no one.  Haley perhaps?? If so, she'll lose.

mystery-ak:
Well...trial over for today..now Trump is attacking the judge...he may be in jail tomorrow... :smokin:

Weird Tolkienish Figure:
Sigh... he's insane or he's a genius. Not sure which.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version