Author Topic: THE FORGOTTEN PART OF THE CONTEST: ARMY LOGISTICS IN THE PACIFIC  (Read 91 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THE FORGOTTEN PART OF THE CONTEST: ARMY LOGISTICS IN THE PACIFIC
CARMELIA SCOTT-SKILLERN AND PETER SINGER
APRIL 29, 2024

Army vessel departs in support of Pacific Pathways
As Gen. Omar Bradley is credited as saying, “Amateurs talk strategy. Professionals talk logistics.” Indeed, from the American Revolution to modern-day conflicts in Afghanistan and Ukraine, the U.S. Army’s ability to effectively manage resources, transport troops and supplies, and adapt to changing circumstances has been not just instrumental, but a core allied advantage over its foes that proved to be the difference between defeat and victory.

Unfortunately, when it comes to how the American defense community plans for and talks about the future of competition and conflict in the Pacific, it isn’t measuring up to Bradley’s metric. For instance, at the Army’s annual meeting, the secretary of the Army gave a powerful speech on how “we have got to ask the tough questions and make the hard decisions on what our force needs to fight in the future.” Yet, there was no mention of “logistics,” and the only discussion of “sustainment” was of barracks repair.

This is no anomaly, but the norm of the literally thousands of leader speeches, congressional testimonies, vision statements, and interviews on the future of war and competition and conflict with China. If logistics is mentioned at all, which is rare, it is a toss-off line.

https://warontherocks.com/2024/04/the-forgotten-part-of-the-contest-army-logistics-in-the-pacific/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson