General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

How popular is the AR-15?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: GtHawk on April 30, 2024, 04:23:49 pm ---I have to wonder at the estimates for AR platform rifles in America, does their number come from completely assembled rifles sold by FFL's only? Because if it doesn't include any in that number that are from 'parts', like pre ban or 80% lowers, uppers completed or not and parts kits to assemble a complete rifle then they are waaay underestimating the numbers.

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing they just count lowers -- either in complete rifles or on their own.  It's really the only way to know.

I just bought/built my first one, and its a chambered in .350 Legend.   Straight walled cartridge legal for deer in my state, and happens to use the same BCG at a 5.56 round as well.  I suppose I'll get around to buying that barrel someday.  But for me, it's a hunting rifle.

GtHawk:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on April 30, 2024, 07:34:42 pm ---I'm guessing they just count lowers -- either in complete rifles or on their own.  It's really the only way to know.

I just bought/built my first one, and its a chambered in .350 Legend.   Straight walled cartridge legal for deer in my state, and happens to use the same BCG at a 5.56 round as well.  I suppose I'll get around to buying that barrel someday.  But for me, it's a hunting rifle.

--- End quote ---
Nice thing about the AR platform is that all it takes is different upper and maybe different mags and you have a choice of 15? calibers you can fire using a standard .556 lower receiver, so the argument about AR's being useless for hunting fails.

Elderberry:
Much more than "15"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_cartridges

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: GtHawk on April 30, 2024, 08:02:55 pm ---Nice thing about the AR platform is that all it takes is different upper and maybe different mags and you have a choice of 15? calibers you can fire using a standard .556 lower receiver, so the argument about AR's being useless for hunting fails.

--- End quote ---

Sorta. .308? 30.06? Serviceable for deer. Elk if you're lucky and can get close. Decent. But just barely reaching into big iron. Good to 150-250 yards, maybe. Pigs, I guess (I ain't got those around here)...
Super good varmint gun in the .223... I've said as much. So yeah... hunting, I guess.

Popular enough I guess, since most folks just go for deer.

When it gets interesting... Big magnum rounds... collapsible. Something you could pack in, then assemble and reach across mountains... Enough poop to go after bighorn and mountain goat, elk over 400 yards...

You ain't even in the ballpark for moose, griz, and kodiak

Elderberry:
The Eskimos in Alaska kill Polar Bear and Walrus with the.22 Hornet

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version