Author Topic: Coral Reefs are as Good as Dead, so We Don’t have to Try Anymore?  (Read 257 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Coral Reefs are as Good as Dead, so We Don’t have to Try Anymore?
18 hours ago 
Essay by Eric Worrall

But, but, there is still hope if we restrict fishing, reduce runoff pollution, and immediately commit to reducing CO2 emissions.

The end of coral reefs as we know them

Years ago, scientists made a devastating prediction about the ocean. Now it’s unfolding.

By Benji Jones@BenjiSJones  Apr 26, 2024, 7:15am EDT

More than five years ago, the world’s top climate scientists made a frightening prediction: If the planet warms by 1.5 degrees Celsius, relative to preindustrial times, 70 to 90 percent of coral reefs globally would die off. At 2°C, that number jumps to more than 99 percent.

In not so great news, the planet is now approaching that 1.5°C mark. In 2023, the hottest year ever measured, the average global temperature was 1.52°C above the preindustrial average, as my colleague Umair Irfan reported. That doesn’t mean Earth has officially blown past this important threshold — typically, scientists measure these sorts of averages over decades, not years — but it’s a sign that we’re getting close.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/04/29/claim-coral-reefs-are-as-good-as-dead-so-we-dont-have-to-try-anymore/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Coral Reefs are as Good as Dead, so We Don’t have to Try Anymore?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 03:05:36 pm »
This was predicted decades ago when a species of starfish was devastating coral. If the niche is present, the coral will flourish and spread. If not, the extent diminishes. Not new, but a multitude of factors may come into play. You would think the rising sea level bandied about would mitigate the alleged temperature change.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 03:29:11 pm »
Tropical corals get all the press, but, there are also deep water corals ...

https://apps-nefsc.fisheries.noaa.gov/nefsc/ecosystem-ecology/corals.html
Ecology of the Northeast US Continental Shelf

Deep Corals
Deep corals are living members of some benthic communities, but are also structural elements. There are no known coral reefs in northeastern U.S. waters. However, various growth forms of coral do afford some spatial complexity to habitat spaces in the region in both shallow and deep water. Corals are not unique in this regard; sponges, hydroids, anemones (solitary and colonial, fixed and burrowing), oysters, mussels, jingle shells, and tube-building worms and amphipods serve similar functions in habitats where they occur, often defining the character of the benthic community and providing cover for resident and transient fishes. Deep corals are suspension feeders, but unlike most tropical and subtropical corals, do not require sunlight and do not have symbiotic algae (zooxanthellae) to meet their energy needs. Deep corals can be found from near the surface to 6000 m depth, but most commonly occur between 50-1000 m on hard substrate, hence their “deep-sea” appellation. ...
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 03:33:49 pm »
What bullshit.  There were coral reefs during the Miocene and Pliocene, when the global mean temperature was higher than now, and in the Miocene, when co2 concentrations were higher too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 07:28:52 pm »
What bullshit.  There were coral reefs during the Miocene and Pliocene, when the global mean temperature was higher than now, and in the Miocene, when co2 concentrations were higher too.
You haven't even mentioned the benthic bioherms of the Paleozoic...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis