Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Warns Of Vicious Cycle Of Malicious Prosecutions That Could End Presidency  (Read 183 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Justice Kavanaugh Warns Of Vicious Cycle Of Malicious Prosecutions That Could End Presidency

BY TYLER DURDEN
MONDAY, APR 29, 2024 - 05:11 AM
Authored by Tom Ozimek via The Epoch Times,

During Thursday’s deliberations at the U.S. Supreme Court on former President Donald Trump’s immunity claim, Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh warned that a decision in the case has future implications for whether future presidents are shielded from vicious cycles of malicious prosecution that could effectively end the presidency as we know it.

In the course of two-and-a-half hours of oral arguments on April 25, justices on the Supreme Court appeared skeptical of a ruling by a federal appeals court that rejected President Trump’s claim that he has absolute immunity from criminal charges based on his official acts as president.

President Trump was indicted by special counsel Jack Smith in August 2023 on charges of conspiring to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

Pleading not guilty, the former president has argued that he should receive absolute immunity from criminal prosecution for acts that fell within the scope of his official duties. The exception to this immunity, he has argued, is if Congress impeaches and convicts him on charges.

A federal appeals court rejected that argument, claiming that presidents must face prosecution for alleged criminal wrongdoing.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/justice-kavanaugh-warns-vicious-cycle-malicious-prosecutions-could-end-presidency
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

So, President Biden can have Seal Team Six whack Tangerine Mussolini with impunity?

Let Grand Juries, Juries, Voters, and Legislators decide.

The DOJ and Courts are too politicized to leave these kind of things to prosecutors and judges.

Selective prosecution has been the DOJ's specialty for decades ...

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The weak Supreme Court most likely will NOT render a decision that is decisive and clear.  They have a cowardly approach to almost everything they do under the lack luster leadership of John Roberts, the weak Bush appointee to the  court.

I expect them to kick this back to the lower court and adhere to their abdicative/cowardly style of decision making.