Author Topic: Massachusetts Kills Plan to Prioritize Homeless Veterans Over Migrants  (Read 275 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Massachusetts Kills Plan to Prioritize Homeless Veterans Over Migrants
Published Apr 29, 2024 at 11:37 AM EDT

All but two Massachusetts House Democrats voted against an amendment to provide statewide shelter priority to U.S. military veterans over migrants.

On Friday, all 25 Massachusetts state House Republicans were joined by two others across the aisle in voting for Amendment 698 as part of House Bill 4600. The amendment introduced by Republican Minority Leader Bradley Jones, titled "Homeless Veterans Prioritization for Shelter Assistance," failed on a 27-129 roll call vote.

"It's extremely disappointing that most Democrats were unwilling to support an amendment to prioritize eligibility for the state's emergency housing assistance program for honorably discharged homeless veterans," Jones told Newsweek via email on Monday.

The vote occurred one day after a supplemental budget was sent to Democratic Gov. Maura Healey, who in October said that her state lacks the space, services and funding to safely expand beyond providing shelter for 7,500 families—of which that quota was nearly reached prior to Halloween amid a migrant surge to the Bay State. Massachusetts is spending about $75 million each month on state-run shelters, according to The Boston Globe, after Healey declared a state of emergency last summer.

https://www.newsweek.com/massachusetts-migrants-shelters-veterans-amendment-1895141?piano_t=1
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 03:50:50 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It's great to see a loyal bunch of Americans in Taxachusettes stick it to those damn veterans who gave years of their lives to defend the nation in favor of the law breaking, welfare loafing, ungrateful people who criticize and hate America.  It's about time states showed the world what America is really like. :#@$%:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 03:56:06 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

There you have it ... Dems hate America and Americans.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Lemmmeeesseeee here...

Massachusetts, eh?
25 Republicans in the state house
vs.
131 DCommunists.

If one is "of the right", even "mildly" right, one should not be expecting to get much in the way of "representation" up there.

Like Jim Morrison once sang:
"Five to one, baby, one out of five
No one here gets out alive..."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 11:01:04 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Massachusetts state and municipal budgets and finances are about to implode.

The best thing that happened to Massachusetts Republicans in the 1990s was Michael Stanley Dukakis running for President in 1988.

Bill Weld (Republican at the time) was elected Governor in 1990.  For a couple of terms, Massachusetts had a couple of Republican House Reps in DC.

The cost of living in untenable.  Those who can't leave will stage a tax revolt.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.