Author Topic: Delft engineer about electric car: 'cracked together blunt technology'  (Read 233 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Delft engineer about electric car: 'cracked together blunt technology'

From one of our correspondents.

The Delft mechanical engineer and sustainability advisor Ir. Chris Zijdeveld is very critical of the current introduction of the electric car in the Netherlands. He thinks that the current fleet is not suitable for achieving energy savings. Unwise choices are made.

Zijdeveld on NPO radio1:

'What is happening now is that we are applying 'highly material' technology. We put a few hundred kilos of batteries in a car, we make cars that weigh three tons to move people weighing only 80 kilos. That's not the kind of technique I learned as a mechanic in Delft. The first cars were a carriage with an engine, the current electric car is an imitation of the car with a combustion engine, much too big, much too heavy. You have to use an electric car that has been developed as an electric car.'

'We have become victims of sloganology…'
Policy circles in The Hague are also looking with care at the future of the electric car in the Netherlands, especially when it comes to affordability. Gerben Jan Gerbrandy, chairman of the National Charging Infrastructure Agenda:

https://www.climategate.nl/2023/06/delftse-ingenieur-over-elektrische-auto-in-elkaar-geramde-botte-techniek/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
'We have become victims of sloganology…'

Rarely have truer words been spoken. :hands:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson