Author Topic: The Overlooked Environmental Challenge Posed by EV Tire Wear  (Read 202 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

The Overlooked Environmental Challenge Posed by EV Tire Wear
Story by TireReviewsandMore Staff

As the automotive world transitions towards electric vehicles (EVs), a new environmental concern emerges, highlighted by Grist: tire pollution. Despite the reduction in tailpipe emissions, EVs contribute to a substantial but often overlooked issue. Annually, cars shed nearly nine pounds of tire material each, cumulatively amounting to six million metric tons globally. This form of pollution is especially significant in regions with higher rates of personal car use.

Electric Cars and the Escalation of Tire Pollution
The advent of EVs has unexpectedly intensified the problem of tire pollution. Heavier than their gasoline counterparts due to bulky batteries, EVs exert more wear on tires. Adding 1,000 pounds to a vehicle, for instance, can lead to a 20% increase in tire wear. This phenomenon is exemplified by comparing Tesla’s Model Y with a similar Kia hybrid, where the former produces 26% more tire pollution, largely due to its additional weight and torque.

The Dangers of Tire Particulate Matter
Tire particulates, consisting of microplastics and various chemicals, pose significant risks to both environmental and human health. Key concerns include the contamination of air and waterways and the presence of harmful compounds like metals and volatile organic compounds. Particularly alarming is the additive 6PPD, which, when transformed into 6PPD-quinone, proves lethal to certain aquatic species and has been detected in human biological samples.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-overlooked-environmental-challenge-posed-by-ev-tire-wear/ar-BB1i3e8Z?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=68451265f74446a79a392cd775a9559b&ei=62
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson