Author Topic: Why the West will refuse to fight Citizens won't sacrifice themselves  (Read 256 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Why the West will refuse to fight Citizens won't sacrifice themselves

(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
AMERICAMILITARYUKRAINEUSWAR

Malcom Kyeyune
APRIL 25, 2024   5 MINS
Western politics is defined by a conflict that is always awkward and sometimes cringe. On the one hand, our leaders are full of loud-mouthed passion, warning that the days of peace are over and that we now need to prepare for total, generational war. On the other, it’s beyond obvious that nobody cares. Across Europe and America, politicians now openly exhort their populations to feel righteous patriotism and to answer the call of duty, but all seem to accomplish exactly nothing: our militaries are shrinking due to a lack of recruits, polling shows a massive disinterest in fighting for King and Country, the young in particular remain completely unmoved. Even in embattled Ukraine, young men are choosing to dodge the draft and go clubbing instead.

How did this state of affairs come to pass? Most “analysis” starts and ends with a bit of hand-wringing about the moral decay of the youth. But this doesn’t explain much. There were countless complaints about the sad state of young people in the late 19th century — but that didn’t translate into a society-wide lack of patriotism and disinterest in defending one’s country.

More useful, perhaps, is the model supplied by British historian Arnold Toynbee, whose life’s work mapped the lifecycle of human empires. In particular, one concept is of interest here: the idea of the internal proletariat, a group of people who tend to grow in number as empires begin to stagnate and decline.

https://unherd.com/2024/04/why-the-west-will-refuse-to-fight/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DB

Re: Why the West will refuse to fight Citizens won't sacrifice themselves
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 05:29:26 pm »
Children in America were raised that their country is the cause of everything bad in the world. So it is of little surprise that those once children have no interest in defending it. Over time they're going to burn down their own house in the name of "social justice"...