Author Topic: NJ’s ban on immigrant detention centers challenged in fiery lawsuit as $100M contract hangs in balan  (Read 122 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

NJ’s ban on immigrant detention centers challenged in fiery lawsuit as $100M contract hangs in balance
By Social Links forSteve Janoski
Published April 28, 2024, 7:40 a.m. ET
A Florida company that wants to open a new immigrant detention center in Newark is suing to overturn New Jersey’s ban on the facilities — claiming the policy violates the Constitution.

The GEO Group said in its lawsuit that the state ban is torpedoing its plans for Delaney Hall, a privately-run, 1,196-bed facility that has variously held county, state and federal detainees over the last 25 years.

That could cost GEO a lot of money — namely, a contract with US Immigration and Customs and Enforcement worth more than $100 million, the lawsuit said.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/28/us-news/njs-ban-on-immigrant-detention-centers-challenged-in-fiery-lawsuit-as-100m-contract-hangs-in-balance/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson