Author Topic: Lawmakers move to block funds to Missouri cities welcoming immigrants  (Read 273 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lawmakers move to block funds to Missouri cities welcoming immigrants

Missouri Republican lawmakers have moved to block all state funds for cities that welcome immigrant workers.
By Sarah Motter
Published: Apr. 26, 2024 at 6:20 PM EDT|Updated: 16 hours ago
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - Missouri Republican lawmakers have moved to block all state funds for cities that welcome immigrant workers.

The move follows a statement made by Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas who welcomed migrants legally authorized to work in the U.S. to fill open jobs in the area.

In a Senate Budget Committee on Wednesday, April 24, Republicans slipped in a proposal that would cut state funds to cities that become “sanctuaries” for immigrants.

“It’s a lie. It’s partisan politics, just like everything else they’re doing in here right now,” said Rep. Peter Merideth (D-Kansas City). “And I think it’s deeply offensive. Now it’s going to muddy up the budget, try and mak the fight about that.”

https://www.ky3.com/2024/04/26/lawmakers-move-block-funds-missouri-cities-welcoming-immigrants/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Lawmakers move to block funds to Missouri cities welcoming immigrants
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 03:35:23 pm »
Yep. Like I said in another post, States need to act like their own nation.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 03:37:26 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

Re: Lawmakers move to block funds to Missouri cities welcoming immigrants
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 04:47:41 pm »
The move follows a statement made by Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas who welcomed migrants legally authorized to work in the U.S. to fill open jobs in the area.

I don't have a problem with immigrants "legally authorized to work".  But that clearly does not include those entering the country illegally and without legal work visas.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-