General Category > Immigration/Border

Lawmakers move to block funds to Missouri cities welcoming immigrants

(1/1)

rangerrebew:
Lawmakers move to block funds to Missouri cities welcoming immigrants

Missouri Republican lawmakers have moved to block all state funds for cities that welcome immigrant workers.
By Sarah Motter
Published: Apr. 26, 2024 at 6:20 PM EDT|Updated: 16 hours ago
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - Missouri Republican lawmakers have moved to block all state funds for cities that welcome immigrant workers.

The move follows a statement made by Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas who welcomed migrants legally authorized to work in the U.S. to fill open jobs in the area.

In a Senate Budget Committee on Wednesday, April 24, Republicans slipped in a proposal that would cut state funds to cities that become “sanctuaries” for immigrants.

“It’s a lie. It’s partisan politics, just like everything else they’re doing in here right now,” said Rep. Peter Merideth (D-Kansas City). “And I think it’s deeply offensive. Now it’s going to muddy up the budget, try and mak the fight about that.”

https://www.ky3.com/2024/04/26/lawmakers-move-block-funds-missouri-cities-welcoming-immigrants/

Free Vulcan:
Yep. Like I said in another post, States need to act like their own nation.

Hoodat:

--- Quote from: rangerrebew on April 27, 2024, 02:04:47 pm ---The move follows a statement made by Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas who welcomed migrants legally authorized to work in the U.S. to fill open jobs in the area.

--- End quote ---

I don't have a problem with immigrants "legally authorized to work".  But that clearly does not include those entering the country illegally and without legal work visas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version